Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecti stopped eating meat
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=4618&mesg_id=4674
4674, i stopped eating meat
Posted by LexM, Fri Jun-06-03 11:12 AM
because my body stopped wanting it

period. it just got gross. and pork wasn't the first thing to go in my case. (i stopped eating beef first, then pork, then chicken/turkey/fish. it took about a year & a half to phase everything out).

in my personal experience and in the literature i've read, meat-eating (even just chicken & turkey) is not conducive to optimal health. i do still eat eggs/cheese, but in moderation. i've developed an allergy to milk.

plus, conditions like cancer, diabetes, and high blood pressure run in my family. eating a diet of heavy in and/or primarily/solely consisting of fruits and vegetables tends to prevent these (and many other) conditions.

"...it was the white people who were suffering as theives do, never able to forget that their pride was wrapped in something stolen, something that had never been, and could never be, theirs. ...But the effects were hidden, evident only in the sterility of their art, which continued to feed off the vitality of other cultures, and in the dissolution of their consciousness into dead objects: the plastic and neon, the concrete and steel." ~Leslie Marmon Silko