Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Seriously, Whats wrong with eating pork???
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=4618&mesg_id=4635
4635, RE: Seriously, Whats wrong with eating pork???
Posted by Nettrice, Fri Jun-06-03 12:49 AM
>did your family member's EXCERCISE?

Yep. On their knees as domestics or working long hours in sweat shops. In fact right before my grandmother put in 12-14 hours at the factory, she went to the gym. Please.

>that's the problem, everybody just wants to blame it on the
>food, and not their own inactiveness

This is about lifestlye (and life choices), not inactiveness. It is also about soci-economics. Poor people don't exercise, they are too busy trying to eat and when money is short they buy the cheapest food they can afford and stretch out. That was pork for us. As a child, my mother had to eat pig brains with eggs for protein because it was cheap.

>you can eat what you want, just as long as you burn that
>shit off, you'll be alright

That's bullshit. Eat to live and you'll be alright because we are born to breathe, eat and rest, creating a balance for optimum living. For some exercise is a luxury.

After stopping my pork consumption, I stopped eating red meat in college and chicken in grad school, and by my late 20's I was mostly off fish (but not quite). But it didn't stop there. I started fasting ever so often and working out at the gym three times per week. Then, my mother, who was way more athletic than me, got colon cancer (she eats everything). My father has been struggling, too, and he plays basketball.

In conclusion, I figured out early that there is a connection between what we eat and how we live, how we effectively deal with adversity (stress), etc. Again, not eating pork was the first in many steps towards my personal freedom and health.