Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectFucking Coon Show
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3964
3964, Fucking Coon Show
Posted by Preach, Sat Sep-13-03 09:42 AM
www.kindablu.com www.kindablu.com www.kindablu.com

gotdamn...there's such a big list of what we're doing that's just to the point where white folks don't even have to make fun of us, cuz we make ourselves look stupid our damn selves...

just watching BET and monica, cute atl singin chick had her 25 favorite videos...and she fucking had the "step daddy" song as her #2 pick....that shit that goes "you ain't my daddy (i'ma tell yo momma)" my god this shit pisses me off...and it started me thinking about other bullshit that's out there.

'Bringing Down the House' is a fucking disgrace...i tried to watch it....didn't laugh not a once (when steve martin put his hands on Queen---scuse me just Latifah cuz she ain't the Queen no more..on her titties and started ridin him...that was it).

Ying Yang twins...sounding like 'Mantan and Sleep & Eat' on their promotional commercial....shit needs to stop! i'm walking round the mall (cuz i work there) and this little girl, i swear about 1 yr old walking around singing "to the window! to the wall!....sweat drip off my balls!" wanna know what's worse? 2 women (guessing one was her momma other was her aunt) was correcting her say the right words.

this shit needs to stop. what do we need to do? i do hip hop (kindablu) and i wanna help this type of shit stop. anyone say somethng...let's get some ideas. please.
3965, RE: Fucking Coon Show
Posted by sithlord, Sat Sep-13-03 10:33 AM
There ain't a hell of a lot you can do if its somebody else's kid, because at the end of the day, they have to raise them. Gotta start with yourself and work from the inside out...
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. He was right about the second part."
3966, Step Daddy
Posted by analog2digital, Sat Sep-13-03 10:43 AM
is a universal song. It's great. I don't see the coonery.

More like a novelty song than anything. I can't even name the artist who did it. It's one of those cute things that blows up.

Black folk ain't the only ones with stepchildren.

Now you may have a point regarding Latifah and Ying Yang.

But your goal shouldn't be the elimination of art forms you deem "coonery". The focus should be on attaining a balance. It's not the fact that Ying Yang look and act the way they do (being from SC, I know you know some people like them--should we eliminate these people too?). The sting of it all comes from the fact that the MAJORITY of images we see are Ying-Yang-ish, if you will.

The entertainment would be just as diversity deficient without Ying Yang as it is now with artists like Kinda Blu, wouldn't it?

Your problem isn't with these supposed coons, it's with the gatekeepers.

Peep the interview with ?uest in Believer Magazine:

http://www.believermag.com/issues/august_2003/ahmir_thompson.htm

don't hate cause they got A/C
3967, RE: Step Daddy
Posted by blueology3, Sat Sep-13-03 05:15 PM
>>Black folk ain't the only ones with stepchildren.

We are the only one's with the task of nation building on our plate.

>>>>>>But your goal shouldn't be the elimination of art forms you deem "coonery". The focus should be on attaining a balance. It's not the fact that Ying Yang look and act the way they do (being from SC, I know you know some people like them--should we eliminate these people too?). The sting of it all comes from the fact that the MAJORITY of images we see are Ying-Yang-ish, if you will.>>>

It's their content and their appearance marketed together to give you a nice appearance of ignorant. Don't get rid of them but slap the shit out of them and wake their ass up, put them in a classroom and off of TV. Fuck a balance, give me a heavy dose of revolutionary/inspirational music and keep the BS to a minimum.

>>>The entertainment would be just as diversity deficient without Ying Yang as it is now with artists like Kinda Blu, wouldn't it?

Diversity? I hate that stupid word, it's usually as a mask for something else, get off that liberal trash.

>>>Your problem isn't with these supposed coons, it's with the gatekeepers.

The problem should be with ignorance and the perpetuaters of it!

3968, In response to reply 5
Posted by OkayContributor, Sun Sep-14-03 04:36 AM
So you mean, ownership excuses dumb actions that give bad impressions of black people?
3969, RE: In response to reply 5
Posted by blueology3, Sun Sep-14-03 07:20 AM
Not at all... but can't nobody tell you what to do with your own stuff. I can get a brand new car and drive it for years without doing any maintenance... you can't make me get an oil change, the only thing you can do is watch that mofo fall apart.
3970, RE: Step Daddy
Posted by Monique, Sun Sep-14-03 12:52 PM
>is a universal song.
YEP !

"u not my daddy,u not gonna whip me because if you do i will kill you".

weeks later standing over the step-father as he was sleeping and i was gone,arms folded and a smile on the face at age 9.

"stepdaddy" began locking the door when home alone!

>It's great. I don't see the coonery.

>
>More like a novelty song than anything. I can't even name
>the artist who did it. It's one of those cute things that
>blows up.
>
>Black folk ain't the only ones with stepchildren.
AMEN!
>

3971, everyone has step children...
Posted by Preach, Sun Sep-14-03 03:13 PM

but we're the only ones that are exploiting it. it's just like "baby daddy" (who dat iz? that's just my babydaddy) we wear the broken home in the black family like old women wear a sunday dress to church.

we have to be more responsible...cuz when we do these things,it makes other cultures/races (i.e. white folk) think it's okay to look at us and exploit us because hell we're doing it ourselves so it must be okay!
3972, amazingly...
Posted by suave_bro, Mon Sep-15-03 01:38 AM
your average african american sees nothing wrong with any of this. truly scary shit...
3973, I don't have the lyrics
Posted by analog2digital, Mon Sep-15-03 05:37 AM
but the song didn't strike me as being a glorification or exploitation of a problem in the black community. Rather, it came off as a novelty song about some bad ass kids.

Now "Baby Daddy" is another story. And even then, I'd say that song created some dialog. Even though we laughed at it, we were repulsed/touched by the truth of it--at some level.

Even the titles show the divergence.

"Step Daddy" = (more) universal term

"Baby Daddy" = very specific term, used only by a very specific population. Thus, I can see the exploitation argument.

Two different songs, if you ask me.

3974, Agreed...lmao!
Posted by Intelligently95, Sat Sep-13-03 01:56 PM

>Ying Yang twins...sounding like 'Mantan and Sleep & Eat' on
>their promotional commercial....shit needs to stop!
3975, RE: Solution.
Posted by blueology3, Sat Sep-13-03 05:18 PM
There is only one.... OWNERSHIP

When you have control you can play whatever the hell you want, when you don't, you can only take what they give you or leave it.
3976, this so true....
Posted by Nekaybaaw, Sun Sep-14-03 01:37 AM
ownership is something that we lack.

"When you smoke herb you see the SYSTEM in front of you! (c)Robert Nesta Marley

all things labelled pagan, occult, and mysterious are the knowledge and wisdom of the cultures of the world that were living in harmony with all life prior to the rise of our current European centered civilization. The rational, christian, scientific belief systems are a paradigm that limits our ability to access the unity of oneness with all existence.

::daily reads..check for it::
http://www.endaikeio.com/
::Reflection of Truth::

http://www.verbalisms.com
::Women in Hip Hop::
3977, how are we....
Posted by Preach, Sun Sep-14-03 05:27 AM

to get to this point? we need an outline. any suggestions?
3978, RE:Just my opinion
Posted by blueology3, Sun Sep-14-03 07:22 AM
But it gotta start with simple stuff... like owning stuff in your own neighborhood.
3979, RE:Just my opinion
Posted by OkayContributor, Sun Sep-14-03 04:42 PM
When you think about it, there is no escaping the joke we have become, but were innocent because we have become jokes without our decisions leading us here. We are all americanized ancestors of africas aspiring to be great englishmen, all capitalists, all willing to exploit one another for our own financial welfare. The joke is reading the bible, The joke is stolen people all begging for an understanding of our nature of the people that kidnapped us. The joke is we pretend that we dont have the capacity to change things independent of how white people will respond or how they would percieve a movement of this caliber. The joke is african americans turning a blind eye to bigger problems, like africa. The joke is this dialogue is all typed in english.
3980, RE:Just my opinion
Posted by blueology3, Sun Sep-14-03 06:06 PM
The joke is that many people will sit around and say what the problems are and not say what the solutions are.. and if by some chance they come up on a solution then they damn sho want shake a tail feather to do anything about it.

Studying the pathology of black victimization is played out... lets get on some progressive stuff.
3981, just was talking bout this last night...
Posted by Preach, Mon Sep-15-03 05:03 AM

and i said to my friend "one thing we know how to do is complain our asses off bout something (me included) but we don't come w/ solutions."

i'm trying to do my part a little at a time...like in aug. from where i live, the hip hop shows, black folks don't come. it's a bunch of drunk white college kids that don't give a fuck about what we're doing. so instead of complaining we did something called the "black store tour" where we did 3 free shows, 3 sats. in a row at black owned businesses. the response was ridiculous as we got in newspapers, news and on PBS around here. not only did it bring music back to the people it also made the black community aware of these black businesses.

next thing i wanna do is somethng w/ the idea of "you don't have to come to the hip hop, we'll come to you!" and we'll do sorta the same thing, 4 sats. in a row in a month, we'll perofrm at dinning halls or activity areas at apartment complexes. the place where people throw parties or fucking do baby showers, we'll hit up 4 different apartment complexes, put flyers on the cars out there and do some more free shows. w/ the BST (black store tour) we actually edited ourselves and made it so that their was a family structure. had fucking kids asking us to sign things. that's what it's all about.

n-e one have any more ideas or solutions let's make things happen. please.
3982, wait until you experiance
Posted by L_O_Quent, Sun Sep-14-03 10:41 PM
that shit in another country, such as sweden, who aren't regularly exposed to black americans... that shit hurts
3983, good point
Posted by analog2digital, Mon Sep-15-03 05:38 AM
n/m
3984, OK, Well tell us how should Black people act then?
Posted by Case_One, Mon Sep-15-03 08:03 AM
I mean weez alls needs ta knows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I am not afraid to point out my weaknesses, for in these things, God’s glory is magnified".(Me Aug02)

3985, Its Interesting
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Mon Sep-15-03 09:55 AM
all black people feel they share the same identity. When white folks see ignorant white folks on TV or in the street, I doubt they go telling their friends how much an embarrassment to their race so and so is.
3986, whites don't share our history
Posted by Ason, Mon Sep-15-03 12:26 PM
And there are plenty of stories about all diffrent kind of whites to balance things out.

Somebody above said it but the average black american doesn't care or know any better. This 24 yr old guy from my work/who is from florida never heard about the church bombings that killed the four little girls in Alabama. He didn't care either.
3987, I wasn't talking about stories
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Mon Sep-15-03 02:21 PM
I was talking about people walking up the street, seeing some black person actin a fool, and then being upset about it. I think we need to get out of this sort of minority mindset where every black represents every other black and the worst thing you can do is make “our race” look bad in front of white people.
3988, RE: I wasn't talking about stories
Posted by Monique, Mon Sep-15-03 02:45 PM
>I was talking about people walking up the street, seeing
>some black person actin a fool, and then being upset about

>it. I think we need to get out of this sort of minority
>mindset where every black represents every other black and
>the worst thing you can do is make “our race” look bad in
>front of white people.

AMEN!

hmmm,and when someone black is questioned by someone white and giving a i do not understand myself answer,or of sorts, well i just wonder if they think they have scored brownie points!

happens quite often.let them get in the wrong place being their normal self,finding they are inthe catagory as the alledged "coons"!

specially when someone says "black folks",not some black folks!

3989, i agree w/ what ur saying...
Posted by Preach, Mon Sep-15-03 03:16 PM

but in my mind it's not what white people think about us. because i think they're going to think what they're going to think...they are not my concern.

i think our concern needs to be on the children. and we can say that not one black is gonna make all of us look bad to white people but on the other end we have to look at things from an "our" perspective as oppose to a "it's just me" mindframe. because back in the days, not even going as far as to the glory years of africa before we were enslaved, but in the south during the 60s when my mother and father grew up, we had the "the whole community raises a child" mentality. so if my mom was acting up and mr. johnson across the street saw it she took the role of being an older disciplinarian (sp?)...maybe not going as far as cutting her ass but at least involving herself saying "you know your momma don't want you doing that" etc....nowadays we look at it from the persective of "hey, that's not my kid, so they can go rob that candy store" but in actuality the more we look at things like that, the less chance we get at making a unified cultural change.

so i agree w/ the idea that 1 monkey won't stop a show...like you ever watch a gameshow w/ some1 black on it and be like "pleeease don't sound stupid"...in that sense it's an individual basis where just one cat don't know what they're talking about...and we'll end up having some white folks saying "hey that's a dumb nigger" (hell some black people will prolly say the same thing) but when we have so called celebrities or people within the entertainment industry...they are respresenting US one way or another. rappers/emcees are basically our street congressmen etc. etc. but the problem is, we don't elect them anymore. and when latifah did that movie, it was beyond "oh my goodness this is how white people are going to look at us" or even that "baby daddy song" it's not about how they see us..it's about how we see us and how we carry ourselves. that ooold song "that's just my babydddy" made it cute to glorify a broken home. and glorified "a man not being a father to child but just a babbydaddie" and we need to stop it.

sorry i said a mouthful.