Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subject40 days to feeling better:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3928&mesg_id=3959
3959, 40 days to feeling better:
Posted by bluetiger, Sun Sep-21-03 07:35 PM
You may want to print this out (or parts of it). The hardest part for me was changing the way I ate. I used to eat everything in HUGE amounts. Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, pizza, and beer are not my regular friends anymore. Red Wine is OK. I would also suggest investing in a cheap whey protein powder such as EAS Simply Whey or Myoplex's stuff. They also have small ready-to-drink stuff that works too, when you can't always take a break to eat. You can do these things for 2-3 meals if you want. Try not to eat 3 hours before bedtime. Cardio also works best in the morning (I always did it after work though at night).

If you eat something "bad" occasionally, recognize it, and try not to fall back into eating that way. If you miss a workout day, make sure you go the next chance you get. Stay focused. It's only 40 days.

Some of it is a repost of my reply:
Do NOT do lots of cardio.
Do NOT do 1000s of crunches.
Do NOT arbitrarily cut out your carbs (as this can lead to chronic ketosis). The real way (if you want the whole program, inbox) took me 40 days exactly. I went from 17% body fat down to 7%. I have kept it off too. I dropped from 215 lbs to 185 lbs.

The meal-deal: Eat 5 times a day (small meals). Drink water. Eat protein-based meals with portions equivalent to the size of your fist. Carbs you can cut out: white potatoes, pastas, breads. Carbs to include: sweet potatoes, vegetables. Cut out fried foods. The protein should be lean red meat, lean turkey or chicken, or best of all, fish such as tuna or salmon. Cut out sweets and bad fats. Olive oil and conjugated lineolaic acids are good to eat.

The exercise-deal: Consistent weight training at a gym. Lift weights in a manner that focuses on not over-training at least 3 times a week (I go 4-5). Muscle burns fat better than anything. Workouts should last no longer than 45 minutes. Anymore, & its overkill.

The cardio-deal: High intensity interval training 3 times a week. I run for half a mile, then do 8 sets of 20-30 second sprints, then run another half mile. It should take just under 15 minutes.

The mental-deal: Set a goal & stay disciplined. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet.

The details for a regular 7 day week:
My workout should be modified to your strength level (don't use too much weight & hurt yourself).

Day One
Squats 4 sets 5-8 reps
Dumbbell Lunges 4 sets 20 steps
Hamstring Curls 3 sets 10-8-6 reps
Standing Calf Raises 3 sets 12-15 reps

Day Two
Dumbbell Chest Press 4 sets 15-12-10-8 reps
Incline Dumbbell Press 3 sets 12-10-8 reps
Dumbbell Flyes 3 sets 15-12-10 reps
Seated Dumbbell Curls 5 sets 5 reps/arm
Swiss Ball Crunches 3 sets 30 reps

Day Three
Run/jog 0.5 mile
Sprints 8 sets 20 seconds/set
Run/jog 0.5 mile

Day Four
Deadlifts 3 sets 10-8-6 reps
Pullups 4 sets 15 reps
One Armed Dumbbell Rows 5 sets 5 reps/arm
Narrow Grip Underhand Lat Pulldowns 3 sets 12-10-8 reps
One Armed Cable Rows 3 sets 12-10-8 reps
Incline Oblique Crunches 3 sets 30 reps

Day Five
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 4 sets 12-10-8-8 reps
Lateral Dumbbell Raises 3 sets 12-10-8 reps
Front Dumbbell Raises 3 sets 12-10-8 reps
Dips 4 sets 10 reps
Cable Triceps Pushdowns 3 sets 12-10-8 reps

Day Six
Run/jog 0.5 mile
Sprints 8 sets 20 seconds/set
Run/jog 0.5 mile

Day Seven
Rest

Notes: Add this ab exercise during one of the cardio days: Decline Leg Raises 3 sets 15 reps Add at least another cardio routine to one of the weight training days.

Once this gets to be your routine, you'll be in great shape. Also alternate types of exercises every few months.

and now:

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
- ρδω

♀¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤♀