Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: i see where you are coming from
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3928&mesg_id=3953
3953, RE: i see where you are coming from
Posted by M2, Sat Sep-20-03 05:47 PM
>alot of track athletes especially sprinters do run before
>they lift. but sprinting is a similar class of exercise to
>lifting weights, both utilizing fast twitch muscle fibers
>primarily. i wasnt aware of the nature of your program, i
>assumed you meant distance running or riding an exercise
>bike or using an elliptical, etc. and im really talking
>about which is the better way physiologically moreso than
>training for a sport. generally if one is going to perform
>an activity involving endurance fibers(slow twitch) its best
>to train the fast twitch fibers first

Well, now that a freak food condition I had in college appears to have healed, I'm toying with either just straight up trying to compete again, or pursuing my interests as far as trying a Triathlon or becoming an adventure racer (I definitely want to do the Eco-Challenge) - either way, I'll just keep the same approach, it worked for a lot of distance runners I know.

Then again - for Distance people, the approach isn't that much different, they usually lifted when they did their speed workouts and/or they're developing their speed moreso for a strong finishing kick than anything else, so a hard distance workout, followed by weight lifting, is basically training their bodies to kick.

Basically, you have basic rules for how you should do things, but you often have to modify them with respect to what type of sport you're competing in/what you want to accomplish.

>i can understand your approach as far as making you mentally
>tougher, etc. i was around the university of texas when
>donovan bailey was training for the olympics(when he won the
>gold medal) and since hes a sprinter of course he would do a
>sprint workout before lifting, BUT he would primarily sprint
>early in the day, taking at least a 4 hour break before
>coming back to lift

Different people are wired different in terms of what makes them fast - I always lifted right after I ran, because it seemed that working on strength and muscle endurance at the same time, gave me the best results.

Other people I ran with, used to go eat dinner after practice, do some homework and then lift.

That approach didn't work so well for me.

Some guys could focus on developing Brute Strength/explosiveness in the gym and get faster, whereas for me, it seemed I had to focus mix muscle endurance with speed work.

>anyway you seem quite happy with your approach and that in
>and of itself is half the battle when it comes to
>maintaining a good program

The other half is just experimentation, I always wondered how my athletic career might've turned out if I had better luck in terms of injuries and knew what I know now, when I was 14.

I've mixed so many different things from so many different coaches and experimented for years to get the right balance that works best for me.

Peace,

M2