Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecti see where you are coming from
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3928&mesg_id=3952
3952, i see where you are coming from
Posted by J_Stew, Sat Sep-20-03 02:06 PM
alot of track athletes especially sprinters do run before they lift. but sprinting is a similar class of exercise to lifting weights, both utilizing fast twitch muscle fibers primarily. i wasnt aware of the nature of your program, i assumed you meant distance running or riding an exercise bike or using an elliptical, etc. and im really talking about which is the better way physiologically moreso than training for a sport. generally if one is going to perform an activity involving endurance fibers(slow twitch) its best to train the fast twitch fibers first

i can understand your approach as far as making you mentally tougher, etc. i was around the university of texas when donovan bailey was training for the olympics(when he won the gold medal) and since hes a sprinter of course he would do a sprint workout before lifting, BUT he would primarily sprint early in the day, taking at least a 4 hour break before coming back to lift

anyway you seem quite happy with your approach and that in and of itself is half the battle when it comes to maintaining a good program