Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: biological race is not real
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3668&mesg_id=3676
3676, RE: biological race is not real
Posted by d_lyte_1, Wed Oct-15-03 07:00 PM
very cool that you're taking cultural anthro. that was one of my faves. pay attention to gender issues as well as race issues. hopefully your professor is comprehensive.

race is a political tool. simply put, it is a divisive tool. race is based on physical characteristics such as skin color, facial features, and hair texture. racial identification is not specific to our culture, and exists in most, if not all, "industrialized" societies. issues of colonialism play into favoring "white" skin color. mexicans experience racism within their culture, favoring "Spanish" light skin. indonesians experience racism, favoring the lighter skin of their colonizers.

ethnicity & culture (i'm sure you'll learn), are more concrete. they are based in traditions & practices passed down through generations. things like religion & marriage play important roles in the transmission of culture.

i'm not sure what your major is, but anthro, sociology, & psychology all delve more deeply into subjects like this. i'm a soc major/psych minor, & have taken classes in all of these disciplines regarding race.

keep an open mind. be willing to hear things you probably won't understand at first or will be offended by. learn from things that seem offensive.

you seem like a bright guy, & i enjoy your posts. good luck in your education.