Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: this post and overall
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3451&mesg_id=3496
3496, RE: this post and overall
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Nov-08-03 05:04 PM
That is great, even though I am not a communist I am sure as shit not thrilled with postmodernism and do strongly believe that the american class struggle has been ignored to the point agony; largely due to racism (see a million other posts I have made to this effect).

Also, while I like the kmart wal mart thing addresses the illusion of choice (which Bush & Co present as a right, grrr so angry); I think the choice to make situations heavenly or agonizing may also be somewhat illusory.

See, the early stages of this post from what I had a minute to read seemed to pit certain components of existentialist versus the primary tenet of Christianity that heaven and hell are real eventualities that can be decided between by accepting Jesus or not (could be wrong here, but its actually a little beside the point). But what that ignores is that while existentialist did believe in constant choice, that in any situation there were multiple options (the classic example that you could move out of the way OR get hit by a train if you chose to), they didnt have this illusion of heaven on earth either.

Existentialists had similar notions that the greatest sin against this life was to long for another, but that doesnt mean that just meant this was as good as it gets as far as we know (a very agnostic POV though many were atheists). But they thought loneliness, forlorness, etc were parts of life. I think the life sucks component of existentialism turns a lotta people off. That and accountability, which is a snag for most people. Some even say that existentialism and humanism are "more Christian than Christianity" because they have similar principles of treatment of fellow men without reward and adhere to humans as the highest possible beings. Meanwhile, Christians and Christian states execute, assassinate and wage war in the name of God. Hmm, who is more amiable, accountable etc???

Anyway, you can give me shit, ask for clarity or expand on that however you want. I really dig this post on the whole, will have to back and read it all before long...