Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI like your point about Maths.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3451&mesg_id=3482
3482, I like your point about Maths.
Posted by mansface, Fri Nov-07-03 03:28 PM
Maths is one of the few things that we can be certain is universal. It was here before we existed and it will be here when we are long gone. The laws of Physics however may in many ways be just tools that help us perceive the universe in a useful way. I've no doubt that some of it is universal, but some of it, particularly particle physics and quantum physics is merely a model that helps us explain things easier - a creation by us that will die with us.

Maths is my gift. I don't find it terribly interesting, but I'm damn good at it, which is why I'm doing Physics rather than just pure Maths.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about string theory other than something about it being a model that has a string oscillating in 13(?) dimensions, which is supposed to explain, well, everything. Suffice to say it isn't quite that simple, but I'm certainly interested in it so I'm sure I'll get around to looking at it one day.

Getting slightly back on topic, I wish I could believe that we could fully control the way we perceive the universe, but having lived through a period of my life when my perception of my life seems to have been in the hands of others, whose actions controlled my happiness or lack of it, I don't think I could. Believing that other people are only experiencing life through a different perspective is of some comfort, but it doesn't stop their actions from occasionally throwing me into my own personal hell/heaven. I would agree that a good deal of the time, my being in heaven/hell is a choice of my own on some sub-conscious level, but my "perception filter" is not all that defines who I am, not everything about me can be affected by a change of perspective. Sometimes this unchanging part of my universe is the bit that causes me pain.