Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectThanks man...I don't know about genius,
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=33809&mesg_id=33888
33888, Thanks man...I don't know about genius,
Posted by MALACHI, Wed Jul-13-05 03:42 PM
but she is pretty smart for two...and my five year-old son has a pretty decent head on his shoulders as well.

> What have you done, or are you doing to instill the value of
>education in your daughter? What things can the black
>community do?

Basically, man I just try to raise my children like my parents raised me and my siblings.

When my wife was pregnant (with both of my kids) from the time she started to "show", I read to my kids almost every night in the womb...a practice that continues until this day. Instead of buying them toys all the time, I get them books. Despite the fact that my children are only in pre-school / day care, they watch NO television on weeknights. (The only exception is if there is a documentary on The Animal Planet or The Discovery Channel or that we will watch together.) We taught my son the alphabet when he was 2-3, and shortly after my daughter turned 2, we planned on doing the same thing...until we found out MY SON had already taught her! (Each one, teach one) Plus, my kids SEE us reading all the time, so I guess naturally they want to read as well.

We also are serious about letting our children experience things that stimulate a desire to learn...things like going to the zoo, going to the aquarium, going to museums, etc.

Another thing we did for our children from an early age is played them Duke Ellington and Nat King Cole c.d.s, as well as classical music when they were infants...I read a long time ago that when very young children listen to orchestrated music, it aids in critical thinking, deductive logic, and general thinking ability.

And the most important thing we do as a family is have a weekly family Bible study, and attend Bible study classes together as a family as well.

The bottom line is instilling discipline in your kids, and setting a proper example that they can see.

PEACE