Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: it ain't my argument, but i can't bite my lip
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=32999&mesg_id=33059
33059, RE: it ain't my argument, but i can't bite my lip
Posted by cashone_again, Mon Jun-06-05 01:17 AM
>I don't know that "separate but equal" in any form would ever
>work...

true, but i don't think the stereotypical images we see would exist in the black marketplace (at all). you're right about the initial backlash, but the thing that would be the most interesting would be the backlash from the white community if blacks thrived in such an environment (they burnt the "black market" in tulsa to the ground in tulsa. the initial backlash isn't from a fear of blacks doing poorly, and money being wasted - it's from blacks doing well, and profiting off of white taxes.

>But if black consumers simply decided to ignore, not boycott,
>but permanently ignore companies who engage in stereotypical
>advertising and predatory marketing practices, that would be a
>good start.

true. and it goes back to nettrice's conversation. people either don't, or refuse to, recognize predatory marketing practices. and nettrice - if you read this, marlboro was originally marketed as a "woman's" brand. they couldn't get into the market - so they gradually shifted 180 degrees to the marlboro man.
>
>But as a commmunity, we'd have to be willing to support those
>who do respect us
TRUE.

>But the biggest (problem) the black agenies have is that most of the
>clients are still not black. And when it's the client's money,
>they do what they want and get what they want. And if they're
>not comfortable seeing certain things in their advertsing
>campaigns/marketing efforts, then you won't see them.

i hear you. in other words, we have black folks in the boardroom willing to present the images, but we're not filling those critical decision making positions on the other side of the table. from what i've seen with my parents, it usually takes a black hand on the other side of the door in order for us to get in to present a proposal, but once we're in - we're pretty much on our own.

>I'll post another excerpt this week.

thanks.

'don't pray when it's raining if you don't pray when the sun's shining.'
-satchel paige