Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectreality...somehow?!?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=32999&mesg_id=33033
33033, reality...somehow?!?
Posted by cashone_again, Wed Jun-01-05 12:49 AM
>there are no fathers in the homes

forget the fathers. i'm sorry, with as many black men that abandoned their families during our generation, and all the 'dear mama' songs that have been put out on cd's by artists - its time to refocus on women - rather than trying to focus on getting men back in to the home.

make their lives easier, 'cause their doing it on their own. "employed women do about two-thirds as much housework and child-care as their non-employed sisters. (non-employed women do approximately 56 hours of housework a week - that's two full-time jobs for the employed) - Juliet Schor - The Overworked American. imagine working 60 hours a week as middle-management, and only getting paid for 40, then coming home to clean up after your kids. and if you have a husband - you've got to clean up after him too. and in the same way that if you don't dress like a thug - you aren't black; women are expected to keep the house clean, or else they aren't women.

Businesses have capitalized on women in the same manner. "Businesses subjected women to a barrage of advertising and social pressure, in order to sell more products. Housework was functional for capitalism. Lysol warned that even 'doorknobs threaten ...with disease.' Grapenuts told mothers that breakfast cereal would determine the course of their child's life...Corporate marketing and the home economics movement converged...They helped spread the message that a woman who did not purchase the growing array of consumer goods was jeopardizing her family and missing out on the best life had to offer." Juliet Schor - The Overworked American

>and to literally expect for the
>media to raise our children is absurd.

kids are already raised by the tv. i had two parents in the home, they did well for themselves (economically) - and i was raised by the television. it didn't ruin me, i turned out alright (good value system laid down by my p's) and most people do - tv isn't the devil. But there was a time in my life that i can look back on and see that i was an mtv/bet kid. my style of dress, my mannerisms, the dirt i was getting into, everything. looking back on it, it's like damn what happened there.
i've worked with underprivileged kids, and their parents know that the safest place for them is at home in front of the t.v. when the parents are out working two jobs to make ends meet. it's a risk they have to take to put food on the table.