Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: before we go on...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3237&mesg_id=3426
3426, RE: before we go on...
Posted by aisflat439, Mon Nov-03-03 08:59 AM
Sorry I should have put quotes around the word "soul" implying my lack of belief in one. But yea you figured right that I intended to do that.

"I feel that as an atheist, you're required to view any and all of your most powerful emotions, as simple reactions to rules that society has set up for you... as going no deeper than some rules that have been set up in the specific locale of your birth..."

I can see how you would see that. I view my emotions as just that, emotions. I know that I can exhibit some control over them (ex. when depressed still get up and go to work even though I don't feel like it). I wouldn't though say that I control them all the time (loosing it at a funeral). Emotions are most certainly reactions though. Gennerally in my experience to powerful stimulus, they don't really follow a discernable set of rules. Does your belief system explain how your emotions manifest themselves? Or does it more explain that you have emotions and thats good (like a sign that god cares about you or something)? Athiesm explains the existence of emotions, but I'm at as much of a loss explaining them as I think everyone else is.

"the example of pain comes up.... of tears... of being "wronged". Does this go no deeper than just the violation of a rule set up by current and present society? or are our emotions honest reactions to a much deeper impulse than that? "

Wrongs, like hurt. By someone cheating on you or something? That example violates the construct of the relationship, and also trust, and a bunch of other stuff too. I don't usually chalk that up to things that society has instilled in me but I suppose it is a fair assumtion. Usually tears come from my self. My brain starts going, I resist, sometimes deny and get angry, try to hold it together and then crumble and cry. That has taken years somtimes, and minutes others. Is that different for someone with a belief system like christianity?

"as kindly as i can put this, I'd argue that an atheist is at a loss for any ultimate purpose for life whatsoever."

Why would there be an ultimate purpose?

then I'd argue that as a theist, my peace comes from a complete answer/eradication of that question (why are we here?). no?

Ahah. This is kind of a weird example but I'll see if I can make it work. There is a post going on right now about philosophy vs. religion. LK1 made the statement in it that post that faith answers all philosophies questions. I feel this way. My faith centers on the idea that I am very insignifigant. This "ego deflation" answers all philosophies big questions that science doesn't. Ex. Why are we here?... Why not, we are here, lets make the best of it? This line of thinking doesn't seem too far off from... Why are we here? Because God wants us here, lets make the best of it.

See to me Athiesm and other religions are very similar. I think it takes a lot of faith to "believe" in either.