Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: before we go on...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3237&mesg_id=3424
3424, RE: before we go on...
Posted by aisflat439, Sun Nov-02-03 09:01 PM
>
>thank you for your reply. i appreciate all that you said,
>and am not ignoring it, just want to ask before i reply, are
>you yourself a theist or atheist?

I am a devout atheist
>
>i ask this because you asked why LK1 posed the question that
>he did earlier about blowing up the world. he asked it
>because establishing the soundness of moral absolutism
>produces the fact of God, I believe.

Hmmm, this could argued quite well I'm sure. Of course, from an athiests perpective moral absolutism would quickly turn into... behaviors that one should adhear to in order to be in a position to reproduce and allow society to remain in a form that your DNA would continue in further generations.
>
>So, you have said now that you don't buy into moral
>relativism, so i'm curious if you've also come to the same
>conclusion about deity because of it?

I envy sometimes those who have found a deism. It would be very nice indeed to feel that I was going to heaven, or that my soul would be passed onto future generations or that I would become part of the oneness when I died. It would also be nice to feel that there was some sense to life, rather than just instinctual drives and conscious thought. Unfortunately, I've never been able to feel any presence, nor meditate, nor communicate, with a power greater than myself. I don't mean that in a egomaniacal way, just that I've never experienced anything... spiritual... otherworldly... I don't really have a good word for it. Athiesm makes the most sense, it feels right, and it is very difficult to maintain. These "feels right" kind of things I consistently hear about from believers. Besides, I figure that I get many, if not all, of the same rewards from praticing athiesm that christians get, excepting community in the form of churches and heaven of course.