Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: ALRIGHT, THINKERS, ANSWER THIS:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3237&mesg_id=3398
3398, RE: ALRIGHT, THINKERS, ANSWER THIS:
Posted by aisflat439, Sun Nov-02-03 08:45 PM
>..not any Theism, but one that includes the notion of a
>heaven and a hell.

I suppose so
>
>My reason, in a nutshell, was this: for an atheist, blowing
>up the world is meaningless because we disinigrate and cease
>to exist after our physical body is powder, therefore making
>any notion of morality a simple human illusion. For a
>believer, this event gives immediate consequence of
>morality's ultimate purpose. If there is no God, what is
>the point of morality, of helping others, of activism? If
>there is no God, it is all an illusion, and was meaningless
>to begin with. Peace,

I don't think that its meaningless to blow up the world for everyone who isn't a sociopath. I would think that a christian believer would feel that the world will not blow up. That wouldn't flow in the context of the bible really (by my reading at least), and so I wonder how that would help a believer in finding morality's purpose.
As for helping others, activism and the like, why don't you see the point. I help others for a variety of reasons. One is because I value friendship. Most of the folks who I avail myself to are my friends. Alternately activism I usually think in terms of the greater good. My family, friends, co-workers, and future generations are helped by my behaviors as they relate to activism. Lastly, I'm can be an incredibly self absorbed person, and quite selfish to boot. Once I've behaved in that manner for some time it begins to permeate into my entire life and outlook (deppression, anxiety, general malaise, paranio, ect...). This is, I've found, best combated by freely giving to others. When I'm feeding the homeless or doing something else I don't need and can't really think about me. That is a tremendous freedom along with it beggeting good feelings. The Morals that I was raised with, and continue to fine tune with more learning and reading are a great guide and map to help me with my own behaviors. Recently, I met someone, and for a variety of reasons it didn't work out. Without the morals I've learned, I may have stuck around, just trying to get laid or not be lonely or whatever. Fortunately though that wasn't how I behaved, saving both of us a headache. These are some examples of how Morals help in an athiests life. Does that clear up the point of morals in a secular world?