Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: he'd still enforce a system of morality
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3237&mesg_id=3372
3372, RE: he'd still enforce a system of morality
Posted by BarTek, Sat Nov-01-03 12:34 PM
that was all very interesting. man, i learn a lot from you. okay...

"I really, truly believe we all know the difference between right actions and wrong actions. We are born with this discernment. Some very specific laws may vary culturally, but we know the damned difference. Peace,"

I agree with you. I do think people know the difference between right and wrong. But it is their own version of right and wrong, I do not think there is an oppotunity for an all unifying set of codes to emerge in our current infrastructure. I have been thinking about what Lao Tzu said about cultures. He said, that cultures and races should not mix, because if you can hear the pots and pans of your neighbours, that is enough to know that they are there. Would it be possible to solve, many of our problems, if we simply seperated from eachother. I think morality is a good practice if you are able to practice it objectively. I can't. It is very difficult for me to filter my moral views out of various ideas, and observations. Sometimes, I do not want moral or various codes of behaviour to emerge in me becuase it creates judgement about myself and the people around me. I suppose, this is one of the problems I found with this kind of belief system. It eventually, turns into a moral practice of ALL things. I do not think morality as a practice of virtue is possible. The thought process, can apply to any ridiculous notion or view and when you start accepting it, into your heart, as i said above..you start living in self deception. This has troubled me a lot as well. Basically, how is it possible, to leave morality out of everyday life, and only apply it objectively to situations that are larger, than the small things our lives that can cause us to break down. I would say I am a moral person, I will not even kiill a bug in my home, i'd rather throw it outside and let nature deal with it. The illusion that can come up is...if I do kill it, or if I do hurt someone, mentally, or emotionally...how do I tell myself, that it was okay, when my moral construct tells me it's not.

Does morality allow for forgiveness? I don't think so. I think that is the point where we start to turn to GOD. Or the idea of GOD. Since, the last time we debated, I have found god. But not in the way, that most people believe in god. I suppose, my belief can be labeled as "rent-a-god"....hehe. So you see, I had to develop GOD, in order to compensate for the failed attempts at morality. I can't say that it has helped all that much but it has on a small level. That is the dilemna I face everyday. What is the right way to live life, and how can I do it, with effortless effort with love, and with correct choices, while accepting wrong choices and not beating myself over them after the fact. Find me a key to unlock that, and I will be impressed. Whatever you propose, I will adopt and practice, even if it is christianity. I have lately been fascinated with the idea of "sweet jesus"...and that is the only way I can identify christians and christianity, or at least, the ones that i thoroughly respect like you. I don't think Jesus was a moral being. I think he, had both a very powerful evil character, and a very powerful virtous character. I think he used 1 and the other to fuel himself as a balanced indibidual capable of...well...whatever he did, I don't know, but people remember him thousands of years after the fact, so he must have been able to accomplish something.

Sorry for the ramble. But I think we can have a good conversation here.

peace fam!