Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: its not fear of death
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3237&mesg_id=3345
3345, RE: its not fear of death
Posted by Streezus619, Thu Oct-30-03 08:05 PM
There are ways to explain morality through evolution and probability (not only for human society, but also monkies, apes, ants, etc., etc.) see Brian Skyrms "Evolution of The Social Contract." I'm not sure I really buy this theory but it can provide with some interesting insight. The point is, given our finite intellect and capacity for understanding, any logical theory is as good as the next. We simply can't point out the truth without some appeal to "common sense" and good luck defining that.

As to your claim that God is morality, or whatever. You're going to run into some problems unless you clarify. For example, are God and morality one and the same. Is a moral action an embodiment of God? And if so, how do you rectify this with existence of seeming immoral actions, given an omnipotent, omnibenevolent, omniscient God? Or is it that what God wills is morality (i.e. following the 10 commandments is moral)? In which case it seems that God could have willed the exact opposite and it would still be moral.

You won't ever come to a clear answer until you yourself meet God, if he exists. Its fun and all to consider the possibilities, but you'll eventually have to realize that you won't Know the Truth until judgement day.