Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: your turn =)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3237&mesg_id=3342
3342, RE: your turn =)
Posted by aisflat439, Mon Nov-03-03 12:23 PM
>>By my estimation of the current set of morals that exist in
>>todays society
>
>do you mean morals like:
>-not hurting others
>-not infringing on anothers right to live (don't murder)
>-protecting one's family
>-being honest and fair in business practice
>
Yea I mean all of the above
>
>I'm curious if those are the kind of basic morals your
>talking about, and if so, I'm curious why you think that
>ideas like those are not universal.
>
I believe that they are likely universal. I also believe that they have evolved somewhat. I think in an examination of those "morals" that you mentioned you might find that they have changed somewhat. Likely though, the general meaning of them has remained mostly unchanged.

>
> I think that I am more Moral then Hitler, so
>>Yes. Generally though I wouldn't compare myself to others.
>
>
>However you did. You said "I'm more moral than Hitler"...
>and correct me if I'm wrong... but I'm assuming you were
>basing that statement off of those previously mentioned
>basic morals (give or take a few) right? Those pesky,
>recurring, universal ideas about how we should treat
>eachother. Am I wrong that those are some of the criteria
>you might use in weighing oneself against Adolph?
>
You are Dead wrong actually at least about the part that I said. Example

inVerse (post 16)
Hitler had it in his head that he had the green light... who are you to subject him to your moral principles?
Unless of course you truly feel that you have a more enlightened view than he... right?

aisflat439 (in response to 16)
I'm nobody really. I sincerely hope that I am more "moral" than Hitler. Generally I chalk that up to Humility more than anything else though. If I was Hitler I wouldn't have opened up a second front in the war and probably would have won the war as a result.

>>In my experience comparison of oneself to others is not as
>>fruitful a venture as comparing ones self to one self.
>
>And when you compare yourself to "yourself". This other
>"self". This measuring stick that you use when you "check
>yo' self"... where does it come from? How do you determine
>whether you are making personal moral progress or not?
>
This is an interesting question. It comes from a lot of things though. The books I read, movies I watch, people I talk to, and my own percecptions of the world. I would love to say that when I compare myself to myself that I find that I have grown. But, alas this is not always the case. I find that I have been more, Lustful, self-seeking, lazy, and self-absorbed than the ideal me would be. Frequently I check myself with the Seven Deadly Sins because I feel that they are a wonderful guide for self examination. I find Sloth, Pride, and Lust to be the most difficult to tackle. But, as I said earlier they are by no means the only gauge, there are plenty of others, secular one too.
I would like to hear how you check yourself. I know that Asissi found Lust a very difficult feeling to deal with and often spent hours in prayer attempting to rid himself of it for only brief windows of time. I've heard frequently that God will remove someones "leanings toword moral indescretion", usually temporarily, but that generally you must deal with it only with the help of God aiding your strength. How do you determine
>whether you are making personal moral progress or not?