Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectPlease read what I write
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3237&mesg_id=3338
3338, Please read what I write
Posted by aisflat439, Fri Oct-31-03 07:47 PM
Instead of just assuming that you know what I'm going to say.

First
"if you believe there is no absolute morality to be strived for... then you CANNOT claim there bas been moral progress or moral evolution."

I never said that there is no Absolute Morality. Although, I don't believe there is. And I CAN claim that there has been Moral Evolution, ecpecially since I never claimed Moral Progress. Evolution is what it is, its a change, would you be so brash as to say that Humanity has not Morally evolved.

you CANNOT say "I sincerely hope that I'm MORE moral than Hitler"

Yes I can.

because if there is no standard to which you and Hitler are appealing... then there is no way to compare.

There are plenty of standards to compare myself and Hitler with. Morality is one of them. Morality exists, I don't deny that. Appealing is the wrong word though. I think that you mean addhearing. In this case, I can still say it. I can hope whatever I want, I don't deny the existence of Morals. Its possible I'm sure to compare me and Hitler, and our Morality, allthough I think its silly to do because we aren't similar. He is a historical figure I am not, he weilded control over a whole country, I control a Chevy Lumina and thats about it. If you want to jump on someone for a contradiction at least be correct when you do it.

Peace