Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: back from the depths.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3237&mesg_id=3299
3299, RE: back from the depths.
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sat Nov-08-03 11:21 AM
>53% of America's Christians are Protestants.. the vast, vast
>majority of them agree with me about Catholicism and
>Mormonism...

And ~ 51% of the world's Christians are Catholics - America is not the whole of the world. And I seriously doubt that the "vast, vast majority" of American Protestants agree with you that Catholicism is not Christianity.

> a Catholic's opinion on the matter is
>irrelevant to mine, because they follow a doctrine that I
>disagree with.

And your opinion on the matter is irrelevant to over a billion Catholics worldwide, and to the billions of Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, and the rest of the vast majority of the world who consider Catholics Christians - that is the point johnny_domino was making.

>Where is there a stereo-type? I believe what I believe
>based on my interpretation of facts... what more do you
>need?

That is what I originally said - you are the one who brought up the stereotype thing when I said that your opinion is irrelevant to most people.

But ok, if it isn't a stereotype, then do you also think it's not a stereotype when Muslims and Jews consider Christians to be pagan idolators?

>I think there are COUNTLESS muslims would disagree with you
>based on their interpretations of what OBL preaches.

Don't know about that, but there are countless more who would agree with me - the vast majority of Muslims, actually.

>everything i've said that is controversial has been an
>OPINION BASED ON a FACT. i have been completely open to
>hear yours and disagree, so why are you being so hostile
>towards my interpretations? The whole point of a
>controversial post is to hear opinions... where have I been
>incorrect with facts?

Firstly, I'm not being hostile; I am listening to your opinions and interpretations, I just disagree with them for the most part. Secondly, let me rephrase that - I'm open to your opinions when they're supported by objective facts rather than just your interpretation of facts (two totally different things) - we went over this on the Mary thing in that other thread a while back. Just like you weren't open to my opinion on Lutherans practicing confession until I provided objective facts to back it up instead of just my interpretation of the facts.

>more bandwagon approach.. you're a real propagandist, aren't
>you? no one truly represents anyone else on this topic
>except yourself, so come with your own views or don't come
>at all...

Yes, that's right, I'm a propagandist - and it's my subversive propagandist agenda to convince the vast majority of the world that Catholics are Christians... my job should be pretty easy then, since the vast majority of the world already believes that (I wish all of my work was so easy)

Dude, you really need to calm down... the point is, your opinion is valid for *you*, but that's not what we're talking about here; we're talking about the common opinion worldwide, and that opinion happens to be that Catholics are Christians. Your opinion, while relevant to you, is irrelevant to that fact. That's all I'm saying - if you want to take offense to that, that's on you.

what the hell do you really know about the
>majority of the world? take a trip to jerusalem some time,
>and see if this last statement holds up.

I know that the majority of the world considers Catholics to be Christians.... I mean, are you trying to tell me that people in Jerusalem don't consider Catholics Christians? Yeah, OK, whatever man...

And what the hell do *you* really know about the majority of the world - you're from Nebraska (see, now *that's* being hostile - ha ha)

>I cherish my roots in Judaism (I have Jewish and Messianic
>Jewish relatives)... "Christians" weren't called
>"Christians" until Antioch... before then (during and a
>century after Jesus), this was merely a sector who
>worshipped, in s synogogue, side by side with other Jews.
>It was the Roman government (or pagan citizens) who most
>likely labeled this sector.. it's a fact... so, accordingly,
>what people's uneducated opinions based on my statements
>means nothing to me.

I'm sure that you do cherish your roots in Judaism - that doesn't change the fact that most Jews DO NOT consider Christianity to be a "sector" of Judaism (offshoot, yes; sector, no)... hell, it was difficult enough to get them to accept that the Falashas constitute a sector of Judaism, and some ultra-Orthodox sects still don't accept that. So they sure as hell ain't accepting you as such.