Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectthe fundamental teachings of Christianity
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3237&mesg_id=3269
3269, the fundamental teachings of Christianity
Posted by johnny_domino, Tue Nov-04-03 05:02 AM
I know it's a religion of charity and turning the other cheek. But the fact that its own religious leaders, through the years, have been responsible for so many atrocities, makes me think that Christianity itself isn't the path to a moral life any more than any other religion. In fact, there are some that haven't been responsible for atrocities like that (Judaism and Buddhism, for example, not to mention Jainism). If I were religiously inclined, I think I'd go to those first. But the point I was making is that people who claim to have a hotline to God often do some truly awful things "in His name". And if a religion's leaders have shown themselves to be untrustworthy through the years, why should I trust that religion now? I think religion still provides some good general morals (the golden rule, don't steal and don't kill and don't cheat on your wife), but in terms of modern-day moral dilemmas like homosexuality and abortion, I feel that religion is behind the times, being dragged forward into progress by others. This is one of the things that convinces me it's not God who gives us morals (because these religious leaders claim to speak to God regularly, or at least know what 'He' wants), but the best efforts of people.