Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectsome thoughts
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3237&mesg_id=3241
3241, some thoughts
Posted by inVerse, Thu Oct-30-03 03:05 AM

Well...

just to go one step at a time here, it seems like the most obvious answer to that question is..

"because we must be moral to have a fair and orderley society"

I mean that's really simplified of course... but essentially isn't that what it comes down to? Humans are generally intelligent enough to know that without this concept of "morality", THINGS FALL APART.

However, there is a circular argument there that it took a long time for me to see... I'm not sure about anyone else... but it did for me... but then once I saw it, I felt pretty ridiculous for not having given it much thought before.... it goes like this:

You ask the question "Why do we have Morality?" or "Why be Moral?"

I say "To be good and right to society" or "because it's good for us as a whole" (or however you'd like to phrase that).

What I didn't see before is that that does NOT answer the question... it only poses the question again.

Because why SHOULD I be Moral? To benefit society?

But why should I like to benefit society? (Society being defined as anyone OTHER than yourself)

In other words why would I care what's good for ANYONE ELSE except for me?

Then you have to say "because it's MORAL to play by the rules that benefit society"

but that does not answer the question... because the question still remains...

and now you're right back at "Why be Moral?" again.

Am I making sense? I was up all night. Goodnight.

peace.