Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectdone
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=32291&mesg_id=32450
32450, done
Posted by inVerse, Sat May-21-05 02:53 PM
>As I wrote earlier, there IS much uniformity in subjectivity a
>la the cultural norm. Subjectivity does not import the
>suggestion that everybody has an entirely unique view on
>everything.

No, it imports the idea that no idea can be more right, more correct, more in correspondance to reality than any other, which is itself a logical self-contradiction.

You argue that moral notions are only the products of cultural norms, thus your most profound, intense emotions that you have ever had or ever will have, are really meaningless, as they're only conditioned into you by some other people and correspond to nothing objectively real in this world.

>I think therefore I am.

You also beg the question, therefore you beg the question. (It's a joke)

I'm going to put on hold your "hypothetical" about killing people cause there's over population, as you've still not explained to me what purpose the hypothetical serves when it's based on a very obviously non-exhaustive dichotomy. It's also the least of our worries right now... in light of the question you're about to ask me...

here it comes...

>Why don't you define an 'objective moral fact' for me?

Gladly, a moral rule which is so, regardless of opinion about it. Further, "objective moral fact" is the prerequisite for moral debate, activistm, etc. Else we'd just be animals bumping heads. Ever wonder why we have language and rationality in the first place?

Now I'll give you an instantiation: "Raping babies is wrong".

I say that is a fact.

You say that is just an opinion.

>I believe there is no such thing as a universal moral law.

Exactly.

>Slavery is rational as far as the slave masters are concerned.
>Depressing isn't it?

Of course it's rational. It "get's the job done". And as long as "rationality" is ALL there is (meaning, no "objective moral law" for rationality to "be rational about") then there is NOTHING WRONG WITH SLAVERY.

The only thing that's depressing is that your worldview requires you to concede that there is nothing wrong with slavery, and that you're view that it should "not be" is merely your desire to assert your opinion, dogmatically, over everyone else, denying them theirs.