Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectSo the English weren't colonialists?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=31965&mesg_id=31999
31999, So the English weren't colonialists?
Posted by Nettrice, Tue Dec-06-05 02:20 AM
Cop out isn't supposed to be a label. You asked about a book and I took the time to tell you about it. That was all it was. Then you respond with something silly. Of course Englishmen and other European countries were colonialist! Of course Western civilization is responsible for slavery and oppression of non-white people (and some white people)! Duh! :D

I think you know that you have a colonialist p.o.v. because you recognize how you benefit from white privilege. Paulo Freire was Brazilian, not from the U.S. If you go back and re-read my post you might see that the quote I posted was from Donaldo Mercado (of Boston) on Freire and his Pedagogy of Freedom. Freire was writing about colonialists in Brazil, the U.S. and all over the world. Mercado was helping to provide a basis for the U.S. folks.

>You form absolute opinions based on the research you have done
>and use it to judge people... In my opinion, that is ignorant
>bigotry. All you see is my white skin, and you automatically
>think you can apply your "evidence" to it... As long as we are
>free to label eachother right?

Incorrect. I do not see your white skin and I am basing my responses on your own words, not how white you are. I assume nothing about you on an online board. You wrote that you've been gifted this "white, priviledged skin color."

One of the symptoms of liberal racism/colonialism is avoidance. You said something that offended some people of color. Rather than respect their differences you attacked them and then avoided your initial response. Liberal colonialists deny holding a racist belief and even consciously reject the racist belief, but unconsciously still act in ways that show they still have the belief. Your reactions and responses on this subject remind me of this.

Your assumption was that 1) I was judging you based on your color and 2) I thought you were American (from the U.S.).

BTW - Check out #44