Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectSwipes...what do ya'll want to do about them?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=31796
31796, Swipes...what do ya'll want to do about them?
Posted by FireBrand, Sat Mar-12-05 12:48 PM
Ya'll know how I feel about them- if there is no dialogue being built around them I think they shouldn't even be here, but that's not in the guidelines so deleting them wouldn't be kosher.

What say you?

Should we limit the amount of swipes per day? Create an anchor called "breaking News" where swipes are housed or something to that nature?

Tell me what ya'll think. Whatever the majority of the responses to this post leans towards is what we will do.

Holla at me.

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31797, Oh..so I can delete them then?
Posted by FireBrand, Fri Mar-11-05 12:06 PM

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31798, RE: Swipes...what do ya'll want to do about them?
Posted by solomon13, Fri Mar-11-05 01:40 PM
Leave them be. The way the mainstream media is nowadays it's good to have our own little OKReporters giving us the scoop. An exchange of information, even if it's not 1st hand, is always good.
31799, Why not introduce it as an arguement- then BOLSTER
Posted by FireBrand, Fri Mar-11-05 01:50 PM
the arguement with a swipe? This aint the newspage, why u wanna flood it with a bunch of garbage half of us know already, or it came from a murky source, or it's some objective dude's blog?

where is the utility in that?

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31800, didnt you just post about 30 swipes in your oil post?
Posted by suave_bro, Fri Mar-11-05 04:49 PM
im just saying...
31801, HELL no.
Posted by FireBrand, Fri Mar-11-05 05:06 PM
Those weren't articles. Those were documents, and links to information as a support for further DEBATE. There was a statement made, and then a document linked for support.

after that there was back ground info posted UNDER that ONE post so that discourse would be possible for those that were not knowledgable on the information discussed in the post.

That is ENTIRELY different, and I think that if you had read what this post was about you would see that.

If I hadn't been so bogged down at work, I would have continued posting information and questions, but as it is- I think the post might be maxed out.

*eh*

these things happen.

But to answer your question again, HELL no.

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31802, i think u will agree when i say this: im lost
Posted by suave_bro, Fri Mar-11-05 06:42 PM
damn near everything you posted in there has A) a web site B) on that web site is EXACTLY what you posted on here. that my friend, is a SWIPE.

now, YOU did what most people on here do which is post artcles then discuss/debate/argue with folks afterwards OR you found an article to support your arguments...I see no problem in debating current topics of the day, this is practically commonplace in the Lesson and in okaysports, and when folks make a claim 10 times out of 10 the first response is "link?".

31803, Swipe is an article if I'm not mistaken,
Posted by FireBrand, Fri Mar-11-05 06:53 PM
The intial post on "ENERGY" is a statment SUPPORTED by an article. Many of the posts afterwards are similar- the ones that are not happen to be reposts from an archived post and need no introduction statement (or so I thought at the time- maybe I should have been more clear on that, but heinsight is 20/20)

The documents submitted were not my arguement- in fact there was alot of data in them that could be used AGAINST my argument. They were there simply to provide a background- perspective for the unfamiliar layperson.

That said, AGAIN- in this thread's original post you have IGNORED the fact that I QUALIFIED this statement here:

"Ya'll know how I feel about them- if there is no dialogue being built around them I think they shouldn't even be here, but that's not in the guidelines so deleting them wouldn't be kosher."

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31804, well there u have it
Posted by suave_bro, Fri Mar-11-05 08:03 PM
if somebody posts a "swipe" and nobody responds to it or the discussion that follows has nothing to do with the "swipe" then I see no reason for you NOT to delete it.

however you and I both know that wont be the case...a vast majority of the time when somebody posts an article as the subject it tends to spawn discussions that have EVERYTHING to do with the "swipe"...I personally see no problem with this.

i'd like to see where this whole thing about "swipes" is in the guidelines/TOS? seems to me like u are trying to regulate these boards based on your pet peeves...what is it about Okayactivist that makes mods want to become dictators?
31805, LOL you are really hilarious man...
Posted by FireBrand, Fri Mar-11-05 09:21 PM
Ya'll are making the decision, not me. CAN you read?

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31806, RE: Swipes...what do ya'll want to do about them?
Posted by akon, Fri Mar-11-05 05:32 PM
if they dont have any kind of discussion/opinion/reason for being posted in the first place i think they should be deleted. I believe most people who swipe articles just want us to see how well read/aware they are.. otherwise they'd have an opinion to along with the article. and im saying this probably as someone who swiped articles when i first got here before i realized that

a) most people had already read that shit
b) it was already posted
c) i just wanted to see my *name up on the boards.
31807, That's my point. IMO swipes expose the poster as someone
Posted by FireBrand, Fri Mar-11-05 05:36 PM
Who isn't necessarily "up" on game. Like you said, if they were they'd have an actual opinion where they could talk at length about the issue and field questions, or put together complexed thoughts/statments.

aiight...well, it's 2 to one on DELETING them right now.

Let your voice be heard!

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31808, ban 3x and suave from okp
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Fri Mar-11-05 07:05 PM
and this problem will go away.

--------------------------------------------------
"If your music was any good it would've
been stolen by the white man by now."

- Triumph the Insult Comic Dog
31809, yes we are the only ones who post swipes
Posted by suave_bro, Fri Mar-11-05 07:59 PM
31810, no, you are the only serial post swipers
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Fri Mar-11-05 09:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------
"If your music was any good it would've
been stolen by the white man by now."

- Triumph the Insult Comic Dog
31811, Laissez Faire
Posted by sunngodd, Fri Mar-11-05 08:33 PM
If someone posts an article that nobody wants to talk about, it will fall.

If it stays up, then obviously it was something people wanted to talk about, so let it go.

------------------------------

“He may be friendly, but he's not your friend." - Malcolm X
31812, Das ist nicht gut genug!!!
Posted by suave_bro, Fri Mar-11-05 08:47 PM
THE POST MUST BE DELETED!!
31813, Well, it's not about that. That isn't what is at the core here.
Posted by FireBrand, Fri Mar-11-05 09:27 PM
Posting articles with no real thought express cultivates an atmosphere where folk drop off articles and half thought out arguments.

In the past, and hopefully in the near future posts took thought. I know that personally I'd take maybe a few hours and put together some readings, research or such the like before posting or I've also posted pointed questions that would promote real debate.

Sure these issues might have been inspired by a book, or an article but the ideas were mine. This promoted real dialogue instead of a defensive/offensive stance that you have when you post an article and folk are forced to take sides on it.

It's not the same. When you post articles it's like a half assed atttempt at proving you have some level of undertanding.

It's lazy.

It's pathetic

and it hurts the boards IMO.

Now, I'ma always clown, but I'll leave it up to you on whether they stay or go. so far it's 2-2...we'll see how it goes.

Some folk have responded but have yet to say whether they want them to stay or go.

Clearly SOMETHING has to be done, cus these google philophes are getting ridiculous.

Search engines do not a thinker make.

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31814, RE: Laissez Faire
Posted by akon, Fri Mar-11-05 09:52 PM
>If someone posts an article that nobody wants to talk about,
>it will fall.
>
>If it stays up, then obviously it was something people wanted
>to talk about, so let it go.
>

True but it can't be too much to ask that the person who posts the article actually express their thoughts on it. Or put up comments to direct or lead to a discussion. Kinda like when you read a book and want others to talk about it, you (hopefully) wont merely post a description and leave it at that. but you'll actually point out interesting aspects of the book (read article), your thoughts, how it applies to some stuff, why its (activist) related, why i should make an effort to read it, how it applies to life or whatever, etc etc. insteada just posting an article on, hey, look what i read' type ish. That's just lazy, (i think.)

31815, then don't read it, move on
Posted by sunngodd, Sat Mar-12-05 01:33 PM

------------------------------

“He may be friendly, but he's not your friend." - Malcolm X
31816, clear this up for me...
Posted by tonywashington, Sun Mar-13-05 01:46 AM
you want to keep swipes.

you think if a person doesn't want to read it they should move on.

if we keep swipes and anybody can post anything without any really thought behind it, ecspecially with this new format where things can stick around forever, this will mean we will have pages and pages of stuff. in turn this will make our one real mods job twice as hard having to go through all these post to see if an article is worth keeping or not. wouldn't it make more sense to have a breaking news anchor of sorts or even more then one where those swipes all can go in one place? we really need to think hard about this because in the end what ever we decide the mods will have to execute and remember we only have one good mod. so are we going to make his job hard or easy?
31817, yeah, lets do away with the swipes.
Posted by tonywashington, Fri Mar-11-05 09:41 PM
i agree, anchor a breaking news post.
31818, I post a fair amount of articles myself.
Posted by tha8thjewel, Fri Mar-11-05 10:28 PM
Nowadays I try to put some commentary before the article, but mostly what I post is food for thought, for people to draw their own conclusions and start conversations in various directions.

<-- Slicka than ya average.

"Alphas are that good high...stick witcha, you can't shake that shit...like heroin. You'll always be addicted."
--OKP novembersgift
31819, and that wouldn't be an issue if there weren't 40 other
Posted by FireBrand, Sun Mar-13-05 10:36 AM
articles on the front page.

nahmean?

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31820, Here’s a list to start with…
Posted by akon, Fri Mar-11-05 10:56 PM
(and some of these are interesting actually, but some comments on what conclusions the author drew, or why anyone should read the article, or even how its an activist related article, would’ve complemented the article)

“cause for a celebration?"
"Obama offended by Bush Social Security pitch to Blacks"
Dems race to the right continues
Feds probe hip-hop industry (swipe)
Harold Ford will seek to become second Black Senator in 2006
FBI Ends Probe Into Murder of Notorious B.I.G.
'Knowledge Fades As Africa Languages Die'
The FBI's War Against Black America (download video)
Donna Brazile Sounds the Alarm
Did Marcus Garvey arrange assassination of rival?
Black girls overtake white boys
GOOD NEWS FROM EUROPE
Germans force French city to take down anti-Nazi sign
Right wing newspaper calls for Chavez 2 be assasinated.
"George Bush's Wahhabis (swipe)"
Keith Boykin: farrakhan, homophobia & tavis smiley forum
NPR on 50 and Game (Common, Most and Roots mentioned)
"A Fireside Chat with Stanley Crouch"

31821, lol
Posted by FireBrand, Sat Mar-12-05 01:25 AM

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31822, i post swipes often-
Posted by rawsouthpaw, Fri Mar-11-05 11:22 PM
and i try to kick some insight and opinion to build with as well to accompany them. i'm not a mod but i'm around here daily and i don't see why further regulation is needed. a breaking news post would be waaay too cluttered people think about it.

someone else said the ones that don't resonate or move people will drop out of sight anyway (or get deleted due to repetition). i'd rather people let them die or live through replies than some other kind of control method.

----------------------------

www.summerproleague.com/photo
_gallery.htm

''Ang hindi marunong lumingon
sa pinanggalingan, hindi
makakarating sa
pinaroroonan.'' Those who
cannot see where they came
from will never get to where
they are
31823, What of the matter of tone? and how swipes effect it?
Posted by FireBrand, Sat Mar-12-05 01:27 AM
You think there is anything to that?

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31824, according to my count it's 2-3 in favor of keeping them.
Posted by FireBrand, Sat Mar-12-05 10:15 AM
Everyone has an opportunity to weigh in. I've decided not to count my vote. I'm serious about this, because something must be done. Amongst the poor logic, argumentative/negative overtones, and weak scholarship this is something derragatory to the boards we can actually address as denizens of the board.

Holla back.

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31825, this mod shit is getting to your head
Posted by 3X, Sat Mar-12-05 11:53 AM
just the thought of banning news articles is crazy
31826, Explain.
Posted by FireBrand, Sat Mar-12-05 12:25 PM
I don't have a vote.

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31827, what is there to explain?
Posted by suave_bro, Sat Mar-12-05 12:30 PM
just the simple fact that there is a "vote" on whether or not posts that "swipe" should be deleted is rediculous...you started out cool man now u are getting a bit wierd. when will okayactivist get a DECENT moderator?

also where are you getting your "votes" from? everybody has pretty much said the same thing: if somebody posts a "swipe" that nobody responds to, DELETE IT. if it spawns a discussion then leave it be...how is that a vote for yes or no? i dont expect a coherent answer to my question just like the incoherent BS answer you gave in response to your post with damn near 30 "swipes" on it that you have anchored yourself...
31828, Deleted message
Posted by FireBrand, Sat Mar-12-05 12:48 PM
No message
31829, So what you want is direct compliance to the guidelines?
Posted by FireBrand, Sat Mar-12-05 12:52 PM
hrm...

Do you know that by interjecting in my convo and direct question to 3x that you are in violation of the guidelines?

Yes. I would have to delete your post, and everypost you made not directed to you that you repsond to. Are you aware how often you do this?

Hmmm. You can't really want that.

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31830, that is not what I read.
Posted by suave_bro, Sat Mar-12-05 01:02 PM
A) the shit happens to me all of the time when people ask me questions and one of my fans says "oh he is an idiot dont bother he wont respond he always blah blah blah" and has been going on for years...in the TOS i gathered that if you got in a debate/argument and made the fight your own that is worth deleting. you asked him a question and i turned around and asked YOU a question. i dont see that as the same thing. nor is this a combative dialogue as its explained in the TOS...

B) also in the TOS it says that if somebody doesn't agree with a topic that they should just move on and ignore it. why cant this be applied to your viewpoints on SWIPES? surely u wont argue that these boards move just as fast as GD and when somebody posts a "swipe" that it pushes more important topics to the 2nd page...
31831, So make up your mind. Follow them directly, or not?
Posted by FireBrand, Sat Mar-12-05 01:04 PM
What say you? Don't play games. Answer the question.

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31832, id didnt violate the TOS
Posted by suave_bro, Sat Mar-12-05 01:13 PM
your quote: "Do you know that by interjecting in my convo and direct question to 3x that you are in violation of the guidelines?"

this is what the guidelines say

"If your boy or girl is in a debate with another poster, do not jump in. Let them work out their disagreement. You would/could just make it worse. EX: "Yo! That's my boy! You can't talk to him like that! I'm in this..WHAT!?!" That's a no-no, player."

- there is no way you can agree that this is what I did.

but at the same time the guidelines say this:

"If you find yourself about to make a post with a fellow poster's name in the subject line, ask yourself "Wouldn't it be easier to e-mail him / her?" Posts that are addressed to one specific person (be it okaystaff, okayartist, or okayplayer) will be removed."

however you claim to have made a direct statement to somebody and if you didnt intend on anybody else interjecting in your convo, should that not have been inboxed to him? to put that in2 perspective for you: If I were engaged in a debate with a fellow poster, and I asked that the mod please delete posts that interjected between me and that particular posters convo, would you NOT tell me to inbox them? that this was a PUBLIC message board and that since i posted it in the board that it was subject to be responded to by anybody!?
31833, You are contradicting yourself.
Posted by FireBrand, Sat Mar-12-05 01:17 PM
If I'm in a debate with someone on these boards, you are saying per the rules that I should carry on the debate via inbox? And that if someone interjects because they share similar sentiments that it isn't in violation? I believe the spirit of the rule is to disallow folk from interjecting because someone is in agreeance with 'em.

How is that different?

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31834, not only that
Posted by suave_bro, Sat Mar-12-05 12:28 PM
but if you just surf the web and go to ANY political/social issues message board you will find the exact same things (at least the ones ive visited) where people post links to articles or swipes of entire articles and people respond to them and a discussion develops...

this is also common in the lesson, common in okaysports, common in pass the popcorn, this is a daily thing in general discussion as well (i do not visit the other boards so i dont know)...I also dont see how this hatred of swipes is any different then what was done in this dudes OIL post (that is also anchored)...

all the other mods on the other boards go by the guidelines/TOS and nothing more. trying to run the boards based on your pet peeves or because you dont personally see a purpose behind it (even though u did the same thing) is bullshit.
31835, No, allowances are made on other boards for
Posted by FireBrand, Sat Mar-12-05 12:36 PM
things outside the guidlines due to popular request. I've been talking to people as YOU KNOW, because you've been one of them about the direction of the board and how to address it. The issue with swipes has come up nearly everytime.

What we need to do is come up with a system to deal with the issue so that everyone can feel as comfortable as possible.

I don't have a vote in this, so it isn't really about me. If it was up to my personal feelings I would have gone thru and deleted each one that wasn't prefaced with an argument/statement from my first day.

Instead we've tried to have a conversation about the direction. Some people choose not to respond, so their wishes can't be honored, others haven't been contacted because I can't inbox EVERYBODY. I tried to hit certain "schools of thought". Everyone else has an opportunity to chime in here.

I'm trying to be very fair. So don't make this to be more than it is.

You don't think a "breaking news" anchor is adequate? why or why not?

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31836, RE: No, allowances are made on other boards for
Posted by suave_bro, Sat Mar-12-05 12:55 PM
>things outside the guidlines due to popular request. I've
>been talking to people as YOU KNOW, because you've been one of
>them about the direction of the board and how to address it.
>The issue with swipes has come up nearly everytime.

- something outside the guidelines and a SWIPE is something totally different. i wouldnt go in2 okaysports and talk about sex. well, by all means delete the posts that have nothing to do with activism or social/political issues...I just haven't seen that many posts in activist that fall outside of this...however, somebody made a post the other week about their experience in the club and how our women are treated...IMO (and i had 2 people reply and agree with me) that post was very important for these boards because it directly connected to our womens high HIV/unwanted pregnancy/high abortion rates and the way we dont treat our women with RESPECT etc etc...needless to say that post got deleted. and i'll say again, I had TWO people agree when i said that EXACT SAME THING in my response to that post (which was NOT a swipe)...so i think the larger issue is what our MODERATOR deems is "activist" worthy or not. obviously the person who created that post and the people who agreed with ME thought so, however, other folks feel OTHER issues are more important...why was that post deleted when people clearly felt it was "activist" related?

>I don't have a vote in this, so it isn't really about me. If
>it was up to my personal feelings I would have gone thru and
>deleted each one that wasn't prefaced with an
>argument/statement from my first day.

- so what happened to the post i was referring to above? and another thing: you say that you inboxed people and asked them what was wrong and people complained about "SWIPES", why is it that nobody has complained other than you?

>Instead we've tried to have a conversation about the
>direction. Some people choose not to respond, so their wishes
>can't be honored, others haven't been contacted because I
>can't inbox EVERYBODY. I tried to hit certain "schools of
>thought". Everyone else has an opportunity to chime in here.

- I understand all of this but again, you are the only person that has complained about "swipes"...

>You don't think a "breaking news" anchor is adequate? why or
>why not?

- i think a "breaking news" anchor would be the DUMBEST thing to ever happen to these boards. why? because would you have anchored a post about brian nichols? would there be an anchored post about michael jackson arriving to court in his PJ's? where would these breaking news reports come from? al-jazeera.com? bbcnews.com? cmon now...hell you cant even get the people on here to talk about SUDAN. this is a very "safe" activist board where people think that bashing the president is something "taboo" and "cool" even though its not. its played. everybody is doing it and that is fine...however, if you try to talk to folks about why poor latinos, asians, and whites score higher on standardized tests than middle class african americans and people get afraid...to ME that's the shit that should be anchored.
31837, there are others who do not want swipes....
Posted by tonywashington, Sun Mar-13-05 01:40 AM
like me. I think a breaking news anchor would save a lot of space on the board. the only way this place is going to get better is if we start cleaning things up and i think this is a good first step. but if the majority votes to keep swipes then we keep them. i will still do my best to try to push for this place to be more about activism.
31838, There should be a place for them
Posted by Nettrice, Sat Mar-12-05 06:08 PM
Maybe in an anchored post/thread. Try it and see what happens. I probably won't read them because I am surrounded by articles, pertinent info and propaganda in the media. My problem is cutting and pasting a whole article. I'd rather see an excerpt or summary with a link and more "discussion", including some critical points of view.
31839, I like that format...excerpts, link, commentary.
Posted by FireBrand, Sat Mar-12-05 07:29 PM
I wonder what everybody else thinks...

So you think an anchor for breaking news is a good idea as well? Interesting.

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31840, new anchor each day, playboy
Posted by tha8thjewel, Sat Mar-12-05 11:15 PM
i think it's a marvelous solution, cuz if you do a new anchor everyday, not only does that allow for there to be a creeping archive of what issues ppl are focused on, it clears out the rest of the board for more innovative discussion.

EDIT: or maybe every week.

<-- Slicka than ya average.

"Alphas are that good high...stick witcha, you can't shake that shit...like heroin. You'll always be addicted."
--OKP novembersgift
31841, ah.... so it looks like we are getting somewhere...
Posted by FireBrand, Sun Mar-13-05 01:01 AM
Dope...

I think some folk have voiced that they don't like this idea, they didn't say why so I can't bring their argument forth.

Maybe they'll respond.

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net
31842, i'm feeling this.
Posted by tonywashington, Sun Mar-13-05 01:48 AM
31843, RE: Swipes...what do ya'll want to do about them?
Posted by akon, Sun Mar-13-05 02:22 PM
i still stubbornly cling to the idea that if someone takes the time to post a swipe it can't possibly be too much to ask that they at least write a few words about it. (even if its a 'why this article is relevant to activists).
31844, comprimise aint always a bad thing.
Posted by FireBrand, Sun Mar-13-05 04:40 PM
I feel you tho.

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net