Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI tried to just lurk since it is addressed to sistas...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=31578&mesg_id=31666
31666, I tried to just lurk since it is addressed to sistas...
Posted by brokenchains79, Fri Oct-21-05 10:18 AM
but I can't so I will offer my two cents and be done. Not even trying to argue any points, just offer a couple.

1. The idea of Black women doing so much greater than Black men is terribly specious. That argument is based on SES and ignore the majority of the Black women who are single with kids living below the poverty line. I know many brothas and sistas single with degrees and jobs (shit I'm one of them) and the sistas probably outweigh us heavily, but this group is a minority out of the some 40million black folks in the country. It's a very skewed perception to say Black women are doing well.

2. I don't think any of the points made address the reality of the situation in terms of racism and the pure destructuion of Black life. To pose the question if we need each other kinda seems insane to me, especially when incarceration rates for women are rising at a fast rate, but if we are talking about the few privi Black women then that reality is irrelevant. But still, the extent to which every kind of ailment is ravaging our community where genocide seems to be a major theme to me, we're arguin if women need men, especially when they are likely raising them seems... *shrug*

Gina is out of control
I'm out of control
the whole--damn--party
--is--out--of control!
(c) White Bob