Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMaybe
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=31578&mesg_id=31592
31592, Maybe
Posted by ya Setshego, Sat Oct-22-05 12:01 AM
but I am not against "alarms" @ this point, when 75-78% of all new reported HIV cases amongst women are African-Am. We NEED an alarm(which the data HAS substantiated). & HOPEFULLY, this ALARM will wake us the f*** up to INSIST on yearly HIV tests WITH our partners, ESPECIALLY when in "committed" relationships(polygamy, anyone?). Hopefully, this ALARM will wake us the f*** up to the realization that yes, it could be YOUR man. YOUR educated, handsome, virile, devoted(seemingly),God-fearing, masculine man. The ONLY man you've ever slept w/. Yes. HIM.
so, IF the estimates are inflated(which is possible, which is why they are called ESTIMATES, not facts), so what? If it gets the point across to Sistahs that HIV is REAL, and afflicting us like nobody's business, therefore we need to change our sexual behavior, and I mean QUICK, then so be it. Besides, if YOU, and any other dude from the Black community says, 'Well hey, that's not me!? So how can you say 80%?' Bully for YOU. That means that you are at the least, in the 20%. So why get so inflamed and outraged at the "outing" of those who ARE in the 80%, or whatever the REAL percentage is? I've had my share of statistics classes too 'Player', so don't try to engage in a "pissing contest" w/ me over educational knowledge, and such. Take THAT to the 5%-er post. It's not welcomed here. *Through w/ this discussion w/ U now*

>>Maybe just an alarm tactic