Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: And that was...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=3126&mesg_id=3202
3202, RE: And that was...
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Wed Nov-05-03 07:27 AM
Actually that is not quite true, but I can't get into it. I thought the same thing until recently when one of my TA's who is also Iranian but apparently the word Iran has been used in Farsi books dating back hundreds of years. Apparently "Persian" is actually a Euro term for us. By the way, my folks are from Kashan and Tehran, I am Iranian or Persian, if you prefer, in my ancestry. but whatever...

As far as the milet system, of course it wasn't fair an equitable. Please... stay with me for just one second. Nobody is talking about fair and equitable, I am talking about relative treatment in which Jews were allowed more freedom of religion under the Ottomans. In fact, while many Christian communities in the Ottoman Empire had strong ties with Russia and Europe, many Jewish communities chose alliance with the Ottomans.

I hate to bust your bubble on this one but "fair and equitable" has not existed for anyone, and will never exist until we do away with classes and class antagonisms. Nationalism which is racist whether it is Palestinian or Zionist, I hate to break it to the zionists, is not the answer to protecting your people.