Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWhy I wouldn't want to be famous...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=30957&mesg_id=31016
31016, Why I wouldn't want to be famous...
Posted by The Pixie from The Sticks, Thu Jul-21-05 12:13 PM
This is why I wouldn't want to be famous because the whole world is watching. If singers come out being who they truly are from jump, then people wouldn't jump all in their faces about being "frauds."

But some singers come out as a gimmick to get money and then when they get a little bit of money, they want their "true" selves to shine through -- Mariah Carey comes to mind. I wonder what her "Vision of Love" fans are thinking, hearing her singing: "Chickens be ashy like lotion" -- I don't know what she's saying, but it's some silly mess like that. She came out as a "gimmick" to get money and that's the bottom line. Everybody loves money. That what makes the world go round and that is why, to me, this world is a bore, so I stay in my own little world, my dream world, and live my life as I see fit: quietly and simply.

Anyway, the one singer that I have seen so far that has been consistent (music, personality wise) is Fiona.

Oh, I just wanted to add as a sidenote -- Just because people are famous doesn't mean their "craft" is better. I'm a writer and I know I am much better than some of these people that get stuff published. BUT I want to be seen as literary, NOT Terry McMillian. That is why I would always think twice about becoming some "gimmick" to sell a book. I couldn't bare to be seen as a writer with skills less than Katherine Mansfield or Anton Chekhov.

Famous people think they proved their "craft" just by becoming famous, but some of the best singers, best dancers, best writers, and best painters are not being paid and STILL ENJOY what they do and still are maintaining and living life! They aren't seeking fame. They are secret, quiet geniuses.