Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWith all due respect Ms. Wright
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=30957&mesg_id=30998
30998, With all due respect Ms. Wright
Posted by buttersoul, Wed Jul-20-05 10:47 PM
First I’m gonna say that I have been a supporter of yours for a long time...even against my better judgment in light of you ability to have a lack of consistency with your expressed artistry. But we are not bound but any rules I guess when we are artist. I'm am sure that all of 16 dollar’s is in your bank account from me personally, after the man gets his of course. So excuse me if I have something to say in response to what you put out into the universe...or did you forget all that holistic stuff in you traipse back to the hood.

Second since you want to take it to the mat here in the activist league let me post my initial response to your fuck the police bit since you chose not to respond to the serious inquiry and entertain the minimal observation...

56. "(((((((((((I love ya sis BUT))))))))))"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jul-19-05 06:10 AM by buttersoul

YOUR POINT IS????????????????????????

So is ya man locked up from the Part 3 of other side of the game?
Do you have 2 blood brothers doing time for thugishness, gun charges or drug peddling...

Oh you've experienced this in the glam your call artistry.

I so respect you for your perspective but I'm finding myself lacking the reality of taking your bebe to the prison at 5 am after driving all night since you got off work to see you honey while you slept for 2 hrs in the car while the busses of women from the city roll on in and you loose you place and have to wait and it now like 10 am and you aint seen your man yet while you got 20$ of quarters in you pocket for snacks and a bill or two for a Polaroid.

Ms. Badu I love you but you just seem to celestially pimp a portion of the game that you can or want to notice...

WHAT ABOUT THE WHOLE STORY!?!?!?

You are close to glamorizing something that is heart wrenching for many and deeper that a part 1, 2 or 3 of songs you capitalize off of...maybe this is that misunderstanding that is an issue for you....but try to shine on all sides then...and listen harder cause we both know that talk is cheap!

aaight
then?!

And to take it further...you talk bout fuck the police...but when is the last time you were racially profiled and pulled over while driving in a hood not your color in a car that aint suppose to be yours?
That ish happened to me this weekend on my way to the beach...

So if you gonna NWA it and talk ya fuck the police ish...have some solid footing sis.

respect.

...and I ask you again...what is your point????? What are you really saying or are you reaching for attention? Is that your present artist statement for your work?

Do you really think the thugish idolatry is good for (y)our people as you so tongue in cheek attempt to imply with you own attempt in a demeaning response to me. Did I touch a mantan nerve. Cause that’s all it is when you mutate you professional personality and regress to this point further glamorizing the very thing we all strive to move beyond. And don’t get it twisted I’m no judge of you. You are but an image you put out for the world to see. I have know comprehension who Ms Badu is...But I will take response to you words and what appear as attention hungry post. Cause the initial fuck the police post wasn’t bout fuck the police it was all about you. Your response to me is "either you sad or mad or a frustrated artist" isn't that you transferring your own frustrations on me and my opinion. Actually I’m a very productive and fulfilled artist never mind if I never got the bank roll you have for what I do. Some artist aint sensitive bout they shit, they NIKE! With little or no acknowledgement of their efforts they produce...without mantan'in.

So did this “fuck the police” bit your on come from the DOC? Where is it coming from? There is no logical process in my opinion…just a gimmick for attention if you are unable to explain beyond this “other side of the game” theory you got going. Oh, fuck the police cause my man is a drug dealer?...And that isn’t as "mantan" of a statement as the yin yang twins and the whisper song? Come on Sis. Lets talk about how the hood especially a southern hood is a marketable statement in your industry right now...lets be honest. Shit we got puffy in the south doing his own brand of bullshit too.

Yeah this board, our art is to say exactly what you feel. But there is always a critic or critique to be had. Yes, I believe you when you say you aint a celebrity...sike ya own mind...that’s why you post ish like this in response...
"i post just so you can write the lil' comments that make you feel like someone speacial."
You post to get your fill of attention that is necessary for a "celebrity" like you. Myself I live in the shadows and the little airtime you thing your giving me has no worth. I could give 2 shit if you or any one else reads my response...but I know I'm being true to my truth. Do you know what your truth really is Ms. Wright?

So make your way to whup my as since you got this "strong" feeling. Do you need an address? We can have a durrty south show down and you can put in on pay per view and make lots of money on the "mantan" tip. But your right lets call it tough love. Cause all in all I still appreciate what you do regardless what issues I have with your fluidity and consistency.

No you’re not the enemy but I wonder if you've lost you way on that path of stardom you've been on. How common it is to buckle and loose the original thought when your artistry becomes financially a lotto ticket. No you ain't the enemy but are you the house nigga telling massa to wake up while his house is on fiyah and I'm blowing on the house, praying for wind, praying it burns. Are you gettin' that bucket water to put the fire out? Are you pretending to blow so the niggas don’t realize you a house nigga that really don’t give a fuck bout them field niggas? Cause really I thought that wasn't where you were coming from but now your just suspect and been suspect for some time with the fake dreads, the pseudo Queen Afua talk of Khemit and incense, the afro wigs now this gangsta yack. Where is the truth? Where is your truth ? I'm so eager to know. Who are you really schoolin' Ms. Wright?

And if you read this far I'm proud of you...whoever you are.
Maybe you or someone got some answers instead of backfire rebuttals and kickback. I have asked many questions and all the “SISTAH” talk you got and love and respect you kick ain’t answering any questions!

AND WHAT WAS THE POINT OF YOUR ORIGINAL POST AGAIN???
Looka me??? Or does glorifying some culturally obnoxious ish really make a point? or a PROFIT???

peep this...

"If you don’t know the kind of person I am,
and I don’t know the kind of person you are
a pattern that others made may prevail in the world
and following the wrong god home
we may miss our star...” -William Strafford

YOU keep shinin'

~Afeni aka buttersoul

"What people think of me is none
of my business." ~O.Winfrey

|||Clickaway|||