Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: then why not just take 'Black' out the equation?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=30834&mesg_id=30885
30885, RE: then why not just take 'Black' out the equation?
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Wed May-11-05 04:31 PM
>Considering the undertable rules set against blacks (i.e.
>higher bank loan interest rates, low education funding &
>failure set-ups) it honestly does not make sense to have open
>discussions with those that set the rules. If anything we need
>to have close knit discussions with those that played by the
>rules and still won.

Openly discussing and attacking the blatantly racist rules of the past is what got them dismantled. What persists are continuing personal and group prejudices that aren't expressly codified but are passed subtly amongst the ruling group in discussions amongst themselves. Inserting the truth into their discussions is more effective than repeating the truth amongst ourselves.

For instance: We can internally discuss how to solidify you financial life to the point that you deserve the best interest rates on a loan. If the loan officer still thinks you don't deserve the best rate, only bc of prejudices passed around his group, all of our coaching is useless.

> Thats not to say we can't hold healthy
>conversations on the basics of the game with others, but to
>openly discuss how we plan to make 'it' work for US (BLACK
>FOLKS) is social suicide.

I believe there's a standard formula for success here .. i.e. the people that are successful here (financially, socially, etc) tend to do the same things, even wen they come from different cultures. Maybe there's a black spin on it, but I have a feeling it'll mostly be the same as what everyone else has done.

Now, much of our community would consider that "selling out". But truth be told, the other groups that come here (and many of us look to as examples for maintaining their heritage AND succeeding) are the biggest "sellouts" in this nation. Think about it...

+They left their "hood" for our deluxe country on the west-side (of the earth).
+Sure, they keep some of their old traditions but they invariably change their bahavior to fit in better.
+They kick some money home but nothing really improves at home (that's why they stay here).
+And though some people are proud of their accomplishments, many are jealous that they're still stuck in the hood they grew up in.

If the hood does improve, thouggh, it's invariably through the hard work of those that were still at home uplifting themselves. Eventually that starts to attract their countrymen back (see Ethiopia, India, Korea) bc they now feel their country is moving in the same direction they are.

Examples are out there, yet we're supposed to sit with blinders on and re-invent the wheel.

>Sad to say but we are the bottom barrel, even if those on top
>were to give positive insight, they are NOT going to risk
>loosing their top spot to help our black asses along. If
>anything, you should question what the person offering insight
>stands to loose/gain and what has inspired them to contribute
>in the first place.

Despite the fact many people feel it is, this does not have to be a zero sum game. I mean, there are some teams or companies where it's everybody for themselves but that's not how the whole or even most of the corporate world acts.

To extend the analogy, everyone doesn't look at our upliftment as their downfall. I will admit there are those that do but they are slowly fading away.

>Also I have yet to hear any white person offer significant
>insight on bettering the black community that did not better
>them more, and most times that 'good' insight only left us
>leaning on them for more.
>Do correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't account for your experiences. The only white people I know that comment on the black community to me are those that are already deep in the black community... and they're usually saying the same things other black people are saying.