Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWait, are black people capable of being self normative?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=30834&mesg_id=30867
30867, Wait, are black people capable of being self normative?
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Mon May-09-05 10:50 PM
Wow, I don't think you get the extent of what you're saying.

White people aren't the only ones that think their existence is normative. I'm certain at some point in your life, you've thought "This isn't what it's like back in my neighborhood/house". At some point you were struck by how different things can be from what you thought was normal.... i.e. you've though self-normatively.

The whole point of your post though is that white people can't talk about black people bc white people tend to speak from a self-normative viewpoint. Well, if you're also self-normative (as I believe you are), what gives you the authority to talk about the "white condition"?

I knwo this a popular argument and I agree it's sorta correct though narrowly attributed to just one group. Maybe it's more noticeable when someone else does it, but any human being with a healthy ego is going to occasionally think that they're views are "normal". So I think it's foolish to basically attribute a certain trait to someone else while you're guilty yourself... i.e. You're the pot calling the kettle black.