Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Beats, Rhymes, & Life: The Effects of Hip Hop
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=30309&mesg_id=30343
30343, RE: Beats, Rhymes, & Life: The Effects of Hip Hop
Posted by Ninasnewbag, Thu Apr-28-05 09:27 AM
Hey,hey,hey

Just want to introduce myself to the members!!! I have so much to say about this topic it is unreal but first... I am new to the board but not new to Okayplayer... Just became an okay member so everybody say hello to Nina...

Just want to comment on the way things are... I am a new single parent (getting a divorce/got two kids by ex) and I have been feeling and thinking the exact same things that were mentioned at the onset of this post. When my children were born I became more conscious of the world and the things my children would be mentally and socially fed. To nurture their spirituality became an all too important step as well as making sure they are aware to the highest degree possible of who they are and who they are not. Which brings me to the "divorcing" I had to do from most mainstream music. Why is it that alot of artists that get radio play in our community only speak on guns, drugs, and sex? And why is it that Black America is so tolerant of this? I could not for the life of me understand how a parent could allow their children to listen to music or watch movies that will definitely influence the way they look at things and the way they view themselves in the world... And if you do allow that are you combatting those negative images and stereotypes with the truth?
Better still, how can we make a change so that our children and children's children don't get worse but better?