Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: **C A L L I N G ***A L L *** A C T I V I S T S**
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=30132&mesg_id=30178
30178, RE: **C A L L I N G ***A L L *** A C T I V I S T S**
Posted by dome, Mon Mar-14-05 07:27 PM
Excellent post!

1. Is their a local activist/community upliftment group that you are involved with? Post up a link.

I am the co-founder of The Foundation for the Study of Hiphop Consciousness, a Los Angeles based organization which uses Hiphop as a tool for social change and youth empowerment. You can go to www.thefoundationonline.net for more info.

2. What do you do on a monthly basis to work towards change?

I run weekly support groups for "at-risk" teens and will soon be running groups about 3 to 4 times a week. I have the Strength in Numbers network created to promote conscious Hiphop. I am also in the process of creating a teen leadership program.

3. What is the biggest issue your community faces? (im talking local community)

In L.A. the biggest issues are violence, police brutality, and a general sense of depression (that's pretty much all around though!)

4. How can we as individual people realstically make an impact?

Individuals can make a realistic impact by reaching out to the youth directly around them. That means cousins, nieces, nephews, neighbors, big brother or big sister organizations, etc... There are many organizations who are looking for members or help. If all else fails, educate yourself and treat your neighbors with respect, set an example. We are the leaders we've been waiting for.