Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectsimulacrum
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=29497&mesg_id=29553
29553, simulacrum
Posted by grshoppa, Mon Mar-28-05 03:10 PM
a few years ago in college i attended a seminar where the main topic was the representation of women in the media. many issues were brought up and several key points were made, but one discussion that certainly made an impression was the disseration topic of one post graduate student. her subject matter was lil'kim and her process at becoming a simulacrum of pamela anderson. at the time i felt like the student had gotten a little carried away, however in retrospect i realize she was in fact making an extremely valid point.
rather than correcting a flaw or simply enhancing a few traits lil'kim has made the best effort to erase certain characteristics of herself and go with images she considers more appropriate for her current status.
cosmetic surgery is a flexible debate at best, in the sense that it is definitely up to the individual to do what they will with their own body. and it can be endlessly argued whether or not it is the media that dictates the obsession or society that dictates the media. but when my sister lightens her hair obsessively and my nieces desire lighter skin based on the images that they are indunuated with, i begin to wonder why we women don't make more of an effort to understand why we have made certain choices and where these choices will lead us.