Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectsame song - different generation...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=29497&mesg_id=29510
29510, same song - different generation...
Posted by cashone_again, Sun Mar-27-05 08:22 PM
Everyone knows that the image it sends to girls is jacked. I watch the Style network, and I've seen Dr. 90210 - the ish is sick (as nettrice noted with the mother/daughter morphing process). Ugh! that's sick - what would compel any mother to agree to do that... anyways, the effect that it has on boys is different. I don't think I know a teenage boy who you can convince that fake breasts are a bad thing. Teenage boys spend ninety-percent of their time trying to figure out why they've got an erection when they're walking through the hallway of their junior high school. The social implications of breast augmentation is the last thing on their minds. If they see augmented breasts, and they get an erection, the last thing they want to do is question that shit...instead it's like, "YES! Alright we're moving in the right direction, at least we agree on something."
With KIDS getting breast augmentation nowadays, its hard to believe that we can get boys to socially outcast girls that have their breasts "done." (actually its probably pretty easy considering how many girls are outcasted by boys during their teenage years because they don't look like britney spears or janet jackson) It would have to be girls putting pressure on each other to avoid such a surgery. But would that ultimately help a girl's self-esteem? They already receive a barrage of messages from mass mediums, and their peers, that say they have to meet an image, before their bodies have even fully developed. And if it were successfully done, how many boys and girls do you think would walk out of such a process unscathed, without serious sexual repression? (sexual repression might not be such a bad thing for boys during their teenage years though)