Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Black Girl Pain
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=29051&mesg_id=29143
29143, RE: Black Girl Pain
Posted by Nettrice, Fri Apr-08-05 11:28 AM
>Maybe we should start with the basics: Do you think single
>motherhood is a good thing or a bad thing?

Depends. I take everything on a case by case basis. Outkast member Andre Benjamin's mother seems like she is enjoying life now but in her Sister 2 Sister interview she talked about all her pain raising her son (single). I had both parents around but my mother kicked my Pops out when I was very young because she thought he would be a bad influence. She did what she had to do but she also had a college degree and a job. She was cool letting us hang with him but he did some crazy shit. I mean really crazy. I could see why she kicked him out, divorced him but my question to her was why get with the guy in the first place?

Sometimes you think something is supposed to happen like in the fairy tales but then it goes waaay south. By that time, you got a baby or babies and life keeps happening. I know a sistah who has spent her entire son's life blaming the father. As a result, the boy is having some serious problems. I also know some single mothers who are doing a good job raising their kids.

People love to point fingers but how about dealing with the problem at the source (not the mother). The individual man or woman who feels a need to engage in unprotected sex.