Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI don't think it's either-or
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=28596&mesg_id=28600
28600, I don't think it's either-or
Posted by sunngodd, Fri Feb-25-05 04:29 AM
>If you're asking the wrong questions, how can you come up
>with the right answers? How can you begin a discussion about
>strategy without an initial discussion about what your
>philosophy, ideals, and goals are in the first place?

What you mention as well as what Johnson is doing are both part of the conversation that we should be having. I don't agree that we necessarily have to agree on some philosophy before we begin to start talking about strategies, because it's not like we'll be able to agree on one philosophy anyway (example: the black political convention that you mentioned).

We could debate philosophy, etc. for a hundred years and still not be any closer to having an empowered black commmunity than when we started. I think we can talk about overall goals and discuss new strategies at the same time. Which brings me back to my original point: It seems like Johnson is trying to have a productive dialogue about moving in new directions, and the author is attacking him as if he's doing something harmful.

------------------------------

“All the scared niggers are dead” – Stokely Carmichael

"...and once we control at least the economy of our own community, we will actually be in a position to provide employment for the people of the community. And this will eliminate the necessity of us acting ignorantly and disgracefully boycotting and picketing some cracka somewhere else trying to beg him for a job. Anytime you have to rely upon your enemy for a job, you're in bad shape.” - Malcolm X