Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: that's almost wholly besides the point.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=28267&mesg_id=28424
28424, RE: that's almost wholly besides the point.
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Fri Apr-01-05 05:36 AM
I never said "shutup cuz I told you" and the offensiveness has to do with many reasons, some of which I think I made quite clear (ie, the general respect of refer to someone as they wish to be refered to. Is that such a hard concept?) Secondly, due to the arrogance that I spoke of, I find it diminuitive (ie, insisting that the mispronounciation is regional rather than just simply incorrect makes the speaker to feel s/he does not have change, but it should be the lesser Arab that has to change). Third, when me and my friends sit around making "redneck" jokes we often say things like "Hey Cleotus, lets go find us some AY-rabs and pull the towels off their heads!" The primary image I receive when I hear the term mispronounced as Ay-rab is one of mockery and belittlement. People say Ay-rab when they are in the act of not taking Arab people seriously.

Despite me listing of reasons above, just like black people should never have to explain to others why they don't like a particular treatment, neither do Arabs or any other ethnic group for that matter. I should NEVER have to justify why you shouldn't call me "EYE-ranian". If you were not aware that its incorrect and offensive, and are capable of pronouncing it properly, do not look for a reason to change. Change first and sooner or later you will get why.