Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectDude, I'm not trying to call you a racist...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=28267&mesg_id=28420
28420, Dude, I'm not trying to call you a racist...
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Thu Mar-31-05 12:43 PM
I just think that its culturally indicative that Americans insist on calling things how they want to because deep inside they seem conditioned to believe that their ideas hold some global standard. Whether you cognitively do think this way or not is not the issue. I don't think you are a racist, at least not outwardly. That is to say that we all harbour racist tendencies that we do not ourselves always aknowledge, and I am ready to plead guilty to this as well. I DO believe it is arrogant when people INSIST on addressing others in a certain manner, despite having all the ability in the world to address them in the way that has been requested of them. It is one thing to be ignorant on whether something is problematic or not. It is a completely different, and arrogant, thing to learn the reality of the situation and still insist to carry on the way one used to. I am not attacking you personally, but I do believe there is a holier-than-thou attitude in America, both among progressives and conservatives, in regards to how the "other" is treated.