Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI'm sensitive to it, and I've seen one good argument.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=28267&mesg_id=28419
28419, I'm sensitive to it, and I've seen one good argument.
Posted by chillsm00th, Thu Mar-31-05 12:35 PM
But all this cat wants to do is say "you arrogant Americans" and imply that I'm some kind of racist. And he can stick that bullshit up his arse with no lube. He, nor any of the other offended people in this post, has refuted my argument or offered up a single shred of evidence that me or cats in the ghetto saying "A-rab" is in any way, shape, or form connected to systemic racism, prejudice, or bigotry, or that the pronunciation creates any sort of climate that leads to those things.

One person made a cogent argument, Notorious VIC:
"I dont think it matters why its offensive, it just is. Its just the same when people call me a "Messican." Naw, fuck that, I am a "MEX-I-CAN." People are what they are and dont like being described otherwise, simple as that.

I think the whole 'ay-rab' thing may have a lot to do with this popular, but racist ass song called 'Ahab the Ay-rab.' Its basically some ol Pat Boone sounding muthafucker talking shit about this brown guy with a turban flying on his magic carpet or something, terrible shit. The song got a lot of burn on bubble gum oldies stations in months following 9/11."

And there are two things about that: (1) he's a Mexicano, Me-hee-kah-no, not a Mexican -- which is a perfect example of American English pronouncing a word according to the pronunciation habits of English and not the pronunciation of the original language (2) niggas in the hood have never, ever, and i mean NEVER, heard of the song he referenced.