Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectthrough force of influence?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=2753&mesg_id=2807
2807, through force of influence?
Posted by Zorasmoon, Thu Dec-11-03 06:34 PM
and you forgot to add the disclaimer "for the time being"..because although I probably won't be here to see it..

"Eurocentric" values won't always dominate world culture. Change is iminent.

I'll tell you what Euro's have managed to do "right". They've managed to TAKE CREDIT for bringing to the world the IDEA of basic civil liberties. (ironic, right? well, just consider American ideology vs. reality...what matters is how people see themselves) Anyone in DIRECT opposition to Eurocentricism seems backward thinking--fascist, and adverse/hostile towards change.

The mistake WE make (people of color) is allowing them to CLAIM
patent over what is common sense and basic respect for humanity. When we romanticize our origins as being pure, perfect and better we shortchange ourselves.

And by NOT accepting the fact that WE are forever CHANGED makes matters worse.

I can't think of a single culture of people that had been oppressed in some way or fashion that did not RETAIN some of the values of their oppressors.

It's that murky gray area that few like to venture. It stinks, but such is life. It's complicated...even beyond the influence of economics..people of color everywhere are CHOOSING eurocentric cultural values--prime example, Christianity.

In my humbled opinion, one goal should be to incorporate the values of our various cultures that minimize human suffering.
And thrown away the detrimental shit. <--(but it's all relative, isn't it?)*shrugs*

No, I'm not seeking the "Garden of Eden". It was a fictional place to begin with...

<~~~~~~~Go-Go Yubari is gangsta!!!
~~~~~~OKP SIGS OF THE MONTH~~~~~~~

"i guess i'm lucky to have busted a bagillion times before losing my virginity." © OKP- illadelphgurl

If you're out there you're vulnerable. People prefer to disappear in life to repress their personality. That's not living. It's dying. I see them all over the place, the walking dead. --Grace Jones