Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectNo dude, I'M SORRY...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=26534&mesg_id=26605
26605, No dude, I'M SORRY...
Posted by holdmedown, Wed Jan-26-05 12:10 PM
>Hate to burst your bubble, but this guy Oyibo is what we
>call a crackpot. My group gets a stack of unpublishable,
>meaningless, incoherent, chrisdefendorf style papers every
>week from dudes who claim to have a "Grand Unified Theory"
>or a "Theory of Everything." They're full of words, and
>"ideas" about where Einstein "went wrong," but there is
>rarely any mathematics and never any logic.
>
>I took your advice and looked into his background, just for
>fun. If he'd ever published anything related to fundamental
>physics, I would have seen it. I study quantum gravity and
>other quantum field theories. It's my job and I spend a LOT
>of time going through all the reputable journals. But I'd
>never heard of Dr. Oyibo until you mentioned him.

Dr. Oyibo has published several articles and books, 7 (yes, SEVEN) of which are available for sale on Amazon.com.
Guess it's possible that you DON'T know everything...

>It turns out he's an interesting kind of crackpot, one with
>a PhD. His PhD, however, is not in any branch of
>fundamental physics, but rather in fluid dynamics (a very
>important and interesting field of study, but far afield
>from issues of fundamental structure). But despite this
>PhD, and whatever work he has actually done in his own field
>(and I don't doubt that there could be some), we must still
>refer to him as Dr. Oyibo, and not as Professor Oyibo. He
>has not gained tenure. Pretty surprising for a guy who
>understands the deepest mysteries of the physical universe.

This is completely unrelated to his credentials or accomplishments, stop taking cheap shots and focus on what we're talking about here, Mr. Physicist...

>He claims to have been nominated twice for Nobel Prizes, yet
>he appears to have published only ten distinct papers.
>That's a pretty strong batting record! He claims to have
>found a general solution to the Navier-Stokes equations, one
>of the great outstanding problems in all of mathematics, yet
>he has not published his solution, even if only to claim the
>million-dollar prize being offered by the Clay Mathematical
>Institute.
(see below please)

>He claims to have a "Theory of Everything," and the one
>university in the world which gives him the benefit of the
>doubt, and invites him to talk about it publicly, is
>rebuked. He responds with something of the nature "I don't
>have to prove my theory, you need to disprove it." First of
>all, physical theories cannot be "proven" or "disproven."
>The words are not even used by serious physicists. Theories
>are either supported, or refuted, by experimental evidence.
>In the end, that's all we have, and that fact defines
>physics. There is always some degree of experimental
>uncertainty, and thus never any proof in the logical sense.

If you go to the website of OFAPPIT Institute of Technology (Oyibo's research home), you will find a lot more real information about him, such as the following:

"Over 2,000 students, staff and professors of Harvard University, Columbia University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), State University of New York at Stony Brook (SUNY Stony Brook), Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute ( RPI) and New York University (NYU) have requested their respective administrations to invite Professor Gabriel Oyibo, the discoverer of God Almighty’s Grand Unified Theorem (GAGUT) otherwise called the Unified Field Theory or The Theory of Everything to present the discovery in school-wide symposiums at their respective universities.

In making the discovery Prof. G. Oyibo has finished the work of Professor Albert Einstein, who had championed the search for this all-encompassing theory on the origin of the universe in modern times. It is considered the Holy Grail of mathematics and physics. Professor G. Oyibo formally published the discovery in 1999 and the entire world was stunned by the revelation. There was great deal of skepticism, a reaction that is consistent with and expected of such a significant discovery. The skepticism varied from outright disbelief to restricted and qualified acceptance of the discovery.
(like you)

The GAGUT discovery has been published in a reputable mathematics journal that has readership in the most prestigious universities. The GAGUT discovery is recognized by the American and European Mathematical Societies as well as the American Institute of Physics...The GAGUT discovery has also been recognized by over 2,000 students, staff and professors from the following schools: Harvard University (120); 2. Columbia University (300); 3. MIT(296); 4. SUNY Stony Brook (1,070 ); 5. RPI (300); 6. NYU (300).

You still with me, smarty pants?? I guess these schools are wrong too.

>But even if we excuse his untidy language, the fact that he
>is unwilling to duscuss his GAGUT openly in an academic
>setting is a huge sign that even he knows that his "ideas"
>are bullshit. Most crackpots search out the academic
>conferences (at least, those which don't require any
>scientific credentials) in order to spread their "ideas" and
>finally become famous. But he, being the rare crackpot who
>actually knows some science, understands that he has
>absolutely nothing to support his claims.

Einstein was considered a crackpot in his day, so were Copernicus and Newton. SO, that statement doesn;t concern me in the slightest...What does concern me is your eagerness to discredit and dispute the claim without thoroughly researching before you speak. And for you to be in the scientific field, knowing the importance of empirical evidence, how can you look on one website and trash the man's accomplishments like that?
1) You said his Ph.D is in fluid dynamics, but in actuality he has his Ph. D. in Aeronautics and Mathematics from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) Troy, New York where he worked for four (4) years on NASA/AFOSR sponsored research. (some crackpot, huh?)
2) You said he hasn't written any books, and I showed them to you. (on AMAZON, there are 7)
3) You said that he has never proven the Navier-Stokes equation, and I showed you where Harvard's Clay School of Mathematics publicly recognizes his work.
4) You said that only one school recognized him and invited him to speak, I showed you 5.
5) You said he is unwilling to discuss GAGUT publicly, however between his many books and the interviews and transcripts found on his website, that is again, FALSE

Maybe you should research his work for real then get back to me.