Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectDescartes proof for the existence of God,
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=26534&mesg_id=26534
26534, Descartes proof for the existence of God,
Posted by thoughtremedy, Mon Jan-24-05 04:29 PM
Possibly, the most logically sound proof I have encountered,
as follows;

First, Descartes must prove that he himself exists, and he does so through his famous statement, "I think therefore I am", as it is a clear and distinct statement that is self evident, no proof beyond the act of saying it is required. The reasoning behind this statement is as follows; if I am able to percieve my own existence from within, I must therefore exist.

Next, Descartes will discuss the relationship between physical objects, and himself. He is not certain of physical objects in his environment, but of his relationship to them.

In an experiment, Descartes takes a piece of wax, and allows it to melt. He then, observes what has changed, and what has not changed. Through his experiment, Descartes arrives at the conclusion that the wax, may melt in many different ways, or in inifinite ways. The state of change between a solid piece of wax and a melted piece of wax is infinite. A simple example of the infinite are numbers.

I am not detailing each point of study as I want to arrive at the proof of God as quickly as possible for the sake of this conversation, so please excuse me for leaving information out if you have already studied Descartes.

Next, Descartes invents the idea of the "Evil Genius" which may be percieved as something that is decieving to his senses and himself. In order to disprove the existence of the "Evil Genius", Descartes is faced with the challenge of proving God's existence. He does this as follows;

Human beings are finite beings, meaning, our physical bodies will eventually die. Also, as finite beings, we are incapable of the infinite, yet we can be certain the infinite exists by observing a melting a piece of wax. We can grasp the concept of the infinite, but we are incapable of it's excecution. If you feel otherwise, please state how as human beings, we can excecute the infinite. Descartes concludes that God is a supreme being capable of the infinite.

Do you find this to be sound proof for the existence of God that is clear and distinct?

Furthermore, Descartes explores free will. Thus far, he is certain of Himself, as he can percieve his own existence; he is certain of GOD, as a supreme being capable of the infinite, and thus an infinite being.

According to Descartes we always have the freedom of saying "Yes" or "No" to any question or supposed act. We can be free from making error, by making clear and distinct statements about our situation and the consequence. Descartes feel's that we carry a reflection of the infinite within our free will, and thus, a reflection of GOD. As, there are an infinite amount of questions or acts that we can say "Yes", or "No" to. Therefore, even though we cannot excecute the infinite, as a sign of respect from GOD to us human beings, we are capable of facing an infinite, and any amount of questions/acts with a simple yes or no, thus, making use of our free will, which reflects the infinite, and thus GOD.

Peace.