Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: because your boy's right
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=26262&mesg_id=26329
26329, RE: because your boy's right
Posted by eloquince, Tue Mar-15-05 03:29 AM
Ok then. He's right because he's actually from the continent and he's credible. But it's not right for you to assume that because the countries we're talking about are not in my backyard, it means I'm completely aloof to them. You don't know where I've been or where I'm planning to go. I simply raise the question because I like to be informed and know why things are the way they are. In Canada, the people I know who's background is Vietnamese or Philipino or Korean etc, identify themselves under one umbrella: Asian. Maybe it's to simplify things for us "ignorant North Americans" or maybe where you come from groups within this classification are not Westernized and still identify with their culture outside of the home setting. They don't encounter it the same way I did.

Usually when people emigrate from countries with numerous ethnic groups they find the common strand (i.e: India). Sometimes they don't express the things that make them different, whether that be language, religion unless you dig deeper and do some research. So when I saw Asian I saw it in the broad sense.