Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: let me clarify myself
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=26262&mesg_id=26304
26304, RE: let me clarify myself
Posted by Jon, Tue Mar-08-05 05:46 AM

>Who are so-called "Asians."

Asians are people from any part of Asia. English 101. now, so-called "Asians" are a collection of similar people who are very distinct from other people of the continant Asia, but have claimed the title "Asian" solely for themselves in a sloppy not-thought-out attempt to quickly replace a previous word that turned out to be offensive.

>Turkey is asia?

yes. http://www.allaboutturkey.com/cografya.htm

>your coming up
>with some very un-defined definitions.

no, i'm referring to ACTUAL Geographical definitions. there is a continent called Asia. this continent is HUGE. therefore, calling anything "Asian" is either going to be very very vague otherwise it's not going to be very accurate. it's very simple if you study a map. there is Asia, Europe, Australia, North America, South America, Africa, and Antartica. countries in Asia are Asian.

>vague with every question and answer you give on here.

how? its very very very clear. Asian is anything from ASIA. NOT JUST vietnamese, chinese, japanese, etc. that's not vague, it's accurate.

>no one word ever accurately describes someone.

not true. no one word ever FULLY describes someone, i'll give you that. however, if you can't see the similarities between people of Japan and people of Korea that is different from people anywhere else in the world, including india, russia, isreal, etc, then you're just playing dumb. because you would not refer to an isreali as "Asian", which means you DO see the things that tie the people of Thailand and Japan. it's not completely specific but a word to describe that a group of peoples IS useful and not bad. for example: Nordic. Nordic refers to all sorts of different people, but if you're not specifically just talking about swedish people but you're talking about all kinds of similar people in a somewhat larger scope of swedish, norwegian, german, etc, you have a word to use (Nordic).

>the only way you learn about a culture or people is to meet
>them. Asian is a million times more accurate and
>non-offensive than oriental.

it may be less offensive but it's also less accurate (as oriental refers to where the sun rises aka "far east", which is also offensive to many, and Asian refers to that which is of a continent that stretches from just a tad east of Greece to Japan). once again, this isn't about keeping oriental, it's about replacing it with something half-way sensible. Asian is so much more vague than you're admitting.