Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectYup!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=25961&mesg_id=25986
25986, Yup!
Posted by jerzCenator, Thu Jan-27-05 12:06 PM
The fact of the matter is that Obama's vote really didn't matter. Rice would still have gotten the 'thumbs up' anyway, that's just the way this ineffective system works. That's not to cosign his vote or say that he couldn't have abstained or voted against her to make a statement. All the talk about bi-partisan initiatives and Democrats and Republicans working together is pretty much a front anyway.

With that said, being a politician is hard. Especially if you want to try to get some real change done within this system. People are constantly coming at you with their agendas and lobbyist platforms, etc., and you often end up doing things you don't want to do to maybe get something done in the future. I know I couldn't do it, I've got to stand behind my beliefs and values no matter what, but cats like Obama have to make concessions to get possible wins in the long run. Y'all know the whole set-up is corrupt, and if you're going to work within its framework, you gotta give in.

On the whole side-topic of the democrats being so-called 'progressive'...I don't agree. The democrats are just the other arm of the machine thats built to hold us ALL down. It's basically divide and conquer because the folk in control know they can keep us arguing and squabbling with each other while they push whatever laws and policies they want through. Look at the Dems track record, even under Clinton. We've lost healthcare, are losing social security, lost money for education nationwide, while the prison system continues to boom and the corporations are making a killing. ALL these politicians are getting fat off of our hardwork and labor, while we fight each other over things that don't even matter in the long run. I don't mean to rant, but dam, y'all gotta open your minds and read between the lines. Analyze the mess you let the media feed you before you digest it. The things the U.S. is doing worldwide would make your headspin. Be revolutionary...

Give Obama some time to show & prove.