Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectFrom the GD thread on this topic:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=25961&mesg_id=25975
25975, From the GD thread on this topic:
Posted by tha8thjewel, Thu Jan-27-05 03:25 AM
Which can be found

"Even the people who railed against her (*cough*Barbara Boxer*cough*) fell over themselves to say the woman was qualified (Boxer last week: "I'm sure we'll work wonderfully together", not exactly a stinging rebuke) while they lambasted her after the fact for some shit they shoulda stopped in the first place. And it's not like she WASN'T going to get confirmed. What, exactly, would be the point of his voting against her?

And like I asked a friend, are we now gonna hawk every single vote Barack Obama makes in the Senate?"

"Least of all Barack Obama. He ran what seems to have been a moderately brilliant campaign for Senator. So he's a brilliant Black politician who seems to play for the right team. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't see where all the hate comes from, as if he would somehow be above reproach. GTFOOHWTBS, especially considering singling him out for condemnation (and not the 30 other Dem Senators who did the same thing) over a procedural vote that wouldn't even affect an outcome."

"(1) He IS a brilliant Black politician, who came out of the southside of Chicago, where he did good things as a community organizer and state senator. He came from behind to win a crowded primary, then crafted a message that allowed him to trounce his rival to win his Senate seat. Don't take that away from the brother cuz you don't like 100% of his politics.

(2) I don't know his rationale for the US attacking Iran. I'm generally anti-war, but I'm also clear that a US Senator is there partially to promote American imperial prerogatives, and that Iran has been an American enemy of one kind or another for a quarter-century, and that the situation isn't 100% equivalent to Iraq."

">funny how you left out the part that when he ran for a US
>house seat, he lost in the primaries b/c his own community
>thought he wasn't Black enough. and don't forget the fact
>that his rival in the senate race had to drop out b/c of
>some sex scandal and so that idiot keyes, who anyone
>could've beat, was his competition in the election.
I left that out because Bobby Rush HIMSELF supported Barack Obama for Senator. What are you saying? Bobby race-baited dude cuz he is a Harvard-educated African mulatto, which made it easy to keep his seat. Sure the community responded to some basic race-baiting -- is THAT what you're holding up as an ideal?

As to his winning - he was trouncing Jack Ryan to the same degree he ended up trouncing Keyes before any scandal ever broke, if you wanna look at the whole picture.

>"but I'm also clear that a US Senator is there partially to
>promote American imperial prerogatives"
>
>whoa, that's news to me. i guess you'll have to point out to
>me where promoting "american imperial prerogatives" is
>listed as a senator's job in the constitution.
That's NOT news to you. If you think Senators are there to change the system, then you're fooling yourself, buddy.

>the democrats are setting themselves up for another let down
>if they think this guy is their hope. i don't see many
>differences between him and kerry.
He's young and up-and-coming, and won an unexpectedly strong victory with a message that seemed to resonate across party lines. So yea, he's a young star. Only time will tell where he goes from here. And yes, the Democrats are setting themselves up for failure if they think ANY one person can save their party. It's deeper than that."