Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectindigenous "homosex" ritual is not homosexuality
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=25839&mesg_id=25908
25908, indigenous "homosex" ritual is not homosexuality
Posted by 25percenter, Fri Jan-21-05 05:18 PM
nor is gender non-conformity homosexuality.
nor are homosexuals unable to breed.

your post seems to clump a lot of very different things into one category... and same sex desire has to be examine in its specific cultural context. It's like Essex Hemphill (RIP, warrior) said about Afrocentrists looking at the absence of rainbow flags in ghana or senegal as evidence that homosexuality doesn't exist there. the lens through which they "recognize" same sex desire is clouded by european norms. the real question is: what are the various ways sexual diversity manifest in African diasporic communities.... and there'd be several answers, and several different examples. But that it exist everywhere in the diaspora is undeniable. just because the government or religion doesn't sanction somethign doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

lastly, I don't see how homosexuality is necessarily seen as a threat to the perpetuation of the black race. many or most black gay men and womyn I know are having and raising black children (or considering it).

it just doesn't add up...

seems like folk trying to rationalize their hateration. denial and disillusionment are the enemy of collective black empowerment. heteros could gain a lot if they'd access the minds, energies, and talents of some 10+ percent of their population who've been reduced to half-men and half-womyn because they choose not to pretend to be heterosexual.

my twenty-five sense,

www.deepdickollective.com

*I want to teach lil negro homos how to bust mofos in the lip when they trip*
- anonymous faggot emcee.

*Diamonds are Coals under Pressure*
-Lorraine Hansberry

*Black Men Loving Black Men is THE Revolutionary Act!
- Marlon Riggs