Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectgood points but
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=25784&mesg_id=25823
25823, good points but
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Jan-31-05 08:33 AM
in MALACHI's original post it says..

"WE WANT FREEDOM FOR ALL BLACK MEN (etc ... )"

I don't think anyone would be against granting new trials since we're all fully aware of the bias inherent in the system.

Of course the exorbitant sentences of some non-violent offenders, in relationship to the punishment for violent offenders, is an issue that needs to be addressed. This is especially true as it relates to drug related offenses & the disparity in sentencing for certain substances.

However, we play a role the drug trade since we participate in the trafficking of drugs throughout our community. The mantra can't be "until we stop the boats & planes, we're not going to address the problem in the hood" ( not saying that's your position but I'm just illustrating a point ). We have a much better chance of controlling a community than battling "the forces that be" which permit the drug trade on a larger scale. So, we have do some something about drug trafficking because as you mentioned dealers kill people over who will sell drugs ( as well as innocents caught in the crossfire ) regardless of folx desire to use them. Both issues need to be addressed but there's no reason they can't be addressed in parallel.

The fact of the matter is.. fair trial or not, some of those folx need to be locked up. If we could devise a way to review cases & grant new trails, I'd be all for it. I just don't agree with "releasing" folx which is what the original post suggests. Now, if that should be interpreted as "granting new trails", I'm with it.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
-------------------------------------------------CLOSING CREDITS--------------------------------------------------------```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Why ya’ll fools claim corners, we gone claim theories..
Ya’ll some stickball ngaz, we the World Series..” - Dove - De La Soul

"Before I battle strangers, I make em sign disclaimers
That states they're aware of the danger.... " - Canibus

"I honestly can’t see myself voting for someone that I could beat in a spelling bee. I guess if he can’t spell something, he’ll blow it up. How do you spell Baghdad? BOOM! That’s how you spell it!" – D.L. Hughley

"And on the 7th day, the Lord made NFL Sunday Ticket in HD, & it was good..."